Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I still got those wet carpets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Nov 15, 2001.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

In the bed of my 79 GMC Jimmy the carpet in the bed near the back gate is getting wet. I noticed that there is some condesation on the inside of the fiber glass top but it would not be enough to generate the extreme amont of moisture on the carpet. The drainage holes in the bed are out but it doesnt seem that they are big enough to let this much water through. There is no rust in the bed. I am stumped. anyone have any ideas.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

2. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

did tou check the tail gate weather strip?close the gate and look from the inside have someone use a flashlight outside and go along the gate and if you see light bingo!

1977 k5-blazer 4"softride 3.5 in rear dana 44,12 bolt rear,6 cyl,205 t-case,465 trans

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

that could very well be it. Thanks alot.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

TAILGATE IS LEAKING, I just went through this with my truck. Get the new outside seal, and make sur eyou have the seals that go on the inspection cover, then for added security, I acually ciliconed the bottom part of the inspection cover, I know it'll be hard to take off, but everything inside of mine is new.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

5. BASSMAN

BASSMAN Registered Member

HAVE TO AGREE WITH EVERYONE ELSE A LEAKING TAILGATE, BEEN THERE DONE THAT. THE CONDENSATION IS FROM THE WET CARPET NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

well i could have bad news for you. If you live up north, or a place with salt it could be caused from corrosion. The bed support underneat can trap mud, salt, etc between it and the ridges in the bed. Then the bed will rust from the underside to the inside. So pull up the carpet, padding, and the insulation and see if you have holes. I sure did, i could fit my fist through them on both sides behind the wheels. I hope this isn't your problem. - Doug

Doug Krebs

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would put a silicone bead on the bottom but i would be worried about water getting trapped inside the tailegate. What do you guys mean by inspection gate. I pulled up the carpet and there is no rust. I live in the bay area so our weather is pretty moderate.