Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I STRIPPED OUT MY OIL PAN!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

long story short i managed to strip out the threads in my oil pan. When i pulled the bolt out to change the oil there were chardes of metal wrapped in the bolt threading. I tried to put the bolt back in and of course the pan threads were stripped. Im reluctant to Tap it because of that whole metal pieces in oil pan make engine explode thing. Is there anything i can do short of replacing the oil pan itself? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    long story short i managed to strip out the threads in my oil pan. When i pulled the bolt out to change the oil there were chardes of metal wrapped in the bolt threading. I tried to put the bolt back in and of course the pan threads were stripped. Im reluctant to Tap it because of that whole metal pieces in oil pan make engine explode thing. Is there anything i can do short of replacing the oil pan itself? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how badly it's stripped but I've had similar problems solved with some teflon tape on the threads, and don't tighten too much.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You should be able to get a fixit kit at the parts store....Cake... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

they sell oversized tapered oil drain plugs at the parts store, as long as they have a magnet, yer ok

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

It's not that hard to pull the pan and fix it right. I wouldn't want to be wheeling in the middle of nowhere and have my drain plug fall out.