Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I suck at filleting fish...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dogdaysunrise, Dec 22, 2005.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I just got back from seriously good ice fishing. It was gorgeous out today so we figured what the hell... We each caught our limit, and now I sit here with a bucket full of 4 and a half pickerel. I just tried filleting one, and wow I suck. I used to be good at filleting my fish, but I let my uncle and my old man fillet them all the time. My skills dropped off the planet. There has been a masacre on one of them, and now im drinking beer waiting for my old man to come clean them :haha::haha::haha::haha:

He works for beer and whiskey just like me, so he was more then happy to come out. Now that is being a nice guy.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you forgot the best part... he works for beer, whiskey and fish....
    Grant

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

you seem to be able to type pretty good for a guy whos just been out drinking all da...wait i meant ice fishing. :haha:

ryan

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Pickerel??

I caught a 22" Pickerel in the Quabbin Resivoiur in central MA when I was about 12..it felt like my line snagged on a log at first,then I saw it leap out of the water!..

I thought it was a snake or an eel at first.:eek1: --long,thin,boney looking thing!..I had hooked it with my lure's treble hooks in the side of its face as we were trolling along..I got it in the boat,it looked like it had one eye missing for a long time.. ..I took it home and tried cleaning and eating it..the old timer that took me fishing was right,said "You wont like it,its got a million bones,and very little meat..not too tasty either"...

I also caught about 10 "Bluegills" that day..some call them "Perch" or "Sunfish"..they were good eating..the guys I went fishing with rarely kept or ate any of the fish,they were into "catch and release"..I figured they would probably croak anyway after being caught,might as well not waste them...

I havent been fishing since I was a teen!..had a nice Garcia-Mitchell rod and spinning reel,and a toolbox sized tackle box full of "red devil" lures and fake minnows,etc..sold them all at a yard sale when we moved here..I never bothered getting back into it..its a hassle paying for a fishing licence,and all the gear if you rarely ever go...

I'm thinking of getting back into it though..as I get older,wrenching on trucks gets to be less and less fun...the ocean isn't far from me either..lots of "sea monsters" on Cape Cod!...you should see the freaky looking things my friend hauls in from his boat!..Eeels,Blowfish,Puffer fish,Stripers,Lobsters..and some other weird things that look like they belong in a horror movie!..:eek1:

5. dogdaysunrise

That certainly aint a pickerel then. They are very large in the mid section and taste amazing. I think your thinking of a jackfish. They are very slender and strong, also very ugly and slimy.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It was a pickerel,but?

I'm sure it was a pickerel,the old timer knew his fish,and I found a picture of one in a nature guide that looked identical..this one had a "chain" pattern on it,and it was light green and white..it was a bit thicker in the midsection,but not that much..

I thought it tasted ok,but the old timer was right about the million bones in it!--maybe out here on the east coast they look a bit different than your variety..sounds like a "Muskie" your describing..:confused: ....the sunfish were better tasting than the pickerel I caught though..

We used to catch Carp (Suckers)in our bare hands in a brook behind my friends house where I grew up in my hometown..I tried cooking and eating one once..tasted like a mud pie!..I heard if you prepare them right they are pretty tasty..we also fished the lakes nearby for Hornpout (catfish?) and Rainbow and Brook Trout..those were real good eating too,especially the trout!..

Catfish I had in Nashville was the best I ever tasted..at the "resturaunt" next to a KOA campground,they had pools of them swimming around--you could pick the one you wanted,they would net it,and deep fried it in batter to perfection!..melted in your mouth!..every one I cooked tasted kind of muddy..I guess where they live has a lot to do with that..:crazy:

7. dogdaysunrise

yea a muskie and a pike are very similar, a walleyed pickerel is the same all around as far as I know. But you guys eat Bass in the states so your tastes might be a bit off :D

8. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Whats ice-fishing:confused:
    :haha: :haha: :haha:
    This is the closest thing we have to that, overcast with a chance of rain........(my brother in the pic with a 5.5lb sandbass)

DSC00634.JPG

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

keep in mind, the americans call pickerel, walleye. As far as I can remember, pickerel in the U.S. referes to the fish that diesel4me described, and they taste about as good as sunfish :(. Canadian Pickerel (walleye) as americans call it, is considered by MOST the best tasting fresh water fish.