Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I swear, Im about to blow a gasket! (long) (UPDATE..SORTA)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Heres how my night went, met at buddies shop to go out and play for a bit. W/ the steering issues Ive had all I was gonna do is watch. And like a good boy I did. I did climb 1 hill to get to the second level to watch from closer up. I see my brother coming down the trail so I go back down to the lower level. On the way down I had a Sami going about negative 32 MPH in front of me, /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Im trying to come down this hill w/ a close to 6000lb rig and hes going down slower than my grandmother. All other runs up and down he was cookin right along. Well I ended up catching a washout and I feel the wheels turn, but no pull on the wheel. HEEERE we go again. Now my fawkin wheel is turned to the RIGHT! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif OK I can deal w/ that, just miffed me.

Talk to my brother for a while and he heads back out. I stay at the bottom and just watch the others. This is where my nite improves for a while, I get to pull a new Super Duty Power Stroke tow rig out of the mud, w/ trailer, sitting on the frame high centered(effortlessly I might add, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

My buddy in the other Zuki gets buried in the mud, front tires against a ledge on the very edge of the hole. He bails out leaves it there and walks over to the group. I jokingly ask him if its in neutral, Ill just pull it out, he dont even need to be there. He says yeah let me check, he does and says go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So I strap up to the Zuk, and tried to just drive it out. Nope need to bump it. Bump it harder, it moves, but not enuff to free it. This time I stand in it, hit the end of the stap and feel a brief stop then I take off. YEAH I GOT IT! I look back to see the Sami still sitting where it was. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I figured I snapped my strap. I look at the end of the strap to find a Suzuki trophy. His clevis, pull point and a section of his frame! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif HEHE OOPS! Well I FINALLY get it unstuck when he realizes he should try to drive it out while I load it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Pulls right out no problem. It was more fun trying to get it as dead weight. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I no sooner get the strap back in the back of PI when along comes another SD Ford. Buried in the mud, we let him walk the last 1/2 mile or so to get to us rather than going to him. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I go to get him now. (ya know, sometimes it bites having the biggest, heaviest rig out of all your buds in Jeeps and Zukis, you have to end up retrieving their tow rigs while still loaded) He is stuck in soup, I am sitting in VERY wet grass to pull him out. The kind you can walk across and feel yourself sinking. He pulls along w/ not much of a problem, but he is dead weight just spinning and sinking worse. I stand on it, and shower him in black grassy mud, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif and drag him to dry land.

On the way out to get him I realize PI just dont feel right. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Feels like its holding back. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I write it off as being everything is soft and Im just sinking some.

Well the rest of the nite goes by uneventful. We go to leave and I have to drag the 1st PowerStroke BACK thru the mud it was stuck in before. Pulls no problem. Get up to where we left the other SD on hard ground, let the guy bail out and I cross the hole to leave, but I waited for him. Well guess what, he drives RIGHT into the ruts (cross ways) I made getting him the 1st time! I go BACK across agian, pull him out of my ruts, unhook and drive across one more time. At this point I am just leaving the strap attatched to PI and just tossing it thru the back window. Guess what happens next...YEP, I get to back in AGAIN to pull him across this time. This is getting amuzing. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The PS makes it thru barely.

Finally Im done for the night. Wouldnt have been bad except everone else got tired of waiting and left us behind /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif all except for 1 Zuki. Now if I got stuck, what the hell good is 1 Zuki gonna do me? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Cant say I really blame them, it took like 20 min to get 1/2 mile up the trail waiting for and pulling these guys, but they should have waited.

OK I am FINALLY back to paved road to head home, crooked wheel and all. But this is where my nite turns BAD. I hit the road and take a guess. PI is holding back. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Feels like I am driving w/ 2.73 gears and 38s. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It gets on down the road fine, but Im having to stay IN the gas to go along. Not the normal cruise along. Its wandering around, but I sorta expected that after the steering wheel incident. I think maybe the brakes are hanging up. But its not pulling and still stops straight. Uh Oh. I get moving along at about 65ish and slip it in neutral. It coasts along just fine. Thats not the brakes.....drop it back in drive and have to stay in the gas to hold speed. Not good. I swear, if I toasted ANOTHER tranny in less than 200 miles, I might just have to hurt someone.

Soooooo PI is down again unless I can find whats wrong and take care of it easy while I do the other steering stuff.

If its somethin major, Im pulling the motor, dropping it in my Camaro and going drag racing for a while. PI has been nothing but problems for me since day 1. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Maybe I need a break. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: I swear, Im about to blow a gasket! (long)

Damn Steve...I'd seriously look at a SM 465 for you. Auto tranny's hate you or something /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Im starting to think PI hates me. Sometimes I wish I had never seen it and kept building my Camaro. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Ive owned PI since 99 and its just been nothin but a headache. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif What have I got 7000 miles in 3 yrs outta that thing.

I dont get it, Ive seen guys get a TH350, turn it upside down to pour the water out of it from it sitting in a field, pour in new fluid and the SOBs last forever. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif NO BS! I fact it was MY freakin tranny from my 1st Camaro. Talk about adding insult to injury. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If it is the tranny again, Ill have the next built for my Camaro, by ANOTHER GUY, and go blow up 7.5in 10 bolts for a while. Ill be done w/ wheeling for a bit. Im just burned out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i would go whith a manul tranny too. If you have this many problems whith autos mabe its time to swap.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Embrace the cast iron Steve, accept it, then take it completely for granted for the next 15 years of abuse./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I can picture you right now, sitting in front of the computer...rolling your eyes and wishing I'd just go away. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

You knew I was gonna bring this up again...but hey, it's your truck and you do have my sympathy. If anyone out there deserves a little luck with a tranny it's you.

Hell, maybe the timing on the motor just got a bit tweaked, that might cause it to feel like things are dragging a bit.

Rene

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I sooo agree with Rene on this one..
    I went through 2 auto's in a month or so. A TH350 and believe it or not, a TH400. I hate having to worry about a damn auto tranny. So in went the 465 and I've had no problems since. I don't worry about it at all. That alone is worth it to me. I think in your case, no matter what auto you go with, you're ALWAYS gonna worry about it. the 465 is the only way to stop the worry. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Pure Insanity

I am seriously starting to consider a maunal. What sux is I just passed on one (465/205 combo) a few hrs from me, complete to the pedals for $500. Only thing I would have had to have gotten extra would be a flywheel for my motor (came w/ old style flywheel) a clutch kit and my shafts redone.

If I have toasted another tranny I am done for a while. Ill pull the tires and wheels off and store them and just put PI out to pasture for a bit. Im not giving up, just taking a break.

I havent even walked outside yet to see if I can find something obvious, so mabe I am just getting ahead of myself at this point. But if I pull the dipstick and find trashed fluid, its all over but the crying. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ive been going thru my head the possibilites of whats wrong considering what Ive already tested on the way home. PI dry fires fine and revs freely like normal, I can feel the power there, but its just like Im dragging a loaded trailer w/ the PStroke behind me, coasts fine in neutral, but requires being on the gas to go along. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

When I shattered the sprag last time everything was fine until it quit pulling, and theonly time I was HARD on it last nite was when I hit the end of the strap when yanking the Zuki. I had about 25-30 feet of running room at WIDE ass open when I hit it, but it barely hesitated when the frame section came flying off, so the shock load wasnt THAT bad on my end. And when I pulled the SD Im not sure if it shifted or not when I was dragging him to dry ground. I think it may have been when I yanked the front of the Zuki.

Hell I run PI harder on the street on a hard take off than I did last nite. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thats a bummer P/I.

Are you heveing the same guy go through these things

Hell, I don't know.. maybe it'll look better if you take a step back for a couple of weeks.

Good luck with it, buddy.

9. Pure Insanity

The last guy that did it was the one that built the one before that that lasted till I actually started wheeling it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif And even that wasnt all that bad IMO.

If somethings bad again, 1st thing Ill do is take take him by the throat and smack him, then Ill be using someone new. IF I dont go 465, which at this point is becoming a real possibilty.

But a break is definately in order for me. I love wheeling too much to walk away, but Im tired of the same old crap being wrong.

I need to stop specualting and go take a look at whats up.

10. Pure Insanity

Well I went outside to just take a look at the fluid. Its fine. I hate to admit this but I have a chrome tranny stick and tube, (I lost the stock one when I moved PI in pieces) so ANYTHING shows up on the stick so theres actually an upside to it, and the fluid is just clean and red as it was when I poured it out of the bottle. I drove it about 15 miles home at about 60 last nite so if something was wrong it should have showed up in the fluid.

Time to move on....Maybe BOTH the rear brakes are hanging up some or somethin?

Ya know, I could deal w/ destroying ANYTHING (except my motor) as long as it wasnt the tranny again. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

maybe its something in the t-case or axles...when my rear end was rebuilt...minus oil...it felt like it was holding back like you mentioned

12. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

awwww,PI has sand in his pu$$y /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    your prolly over looking somthing really stupid,if it is'nt your tranny.you could part out the PI to most of use and buy a ricer? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

T-case full of fluid ?

Rear axle problems ? Low on fluid, or maybe the pinion nut backed off, letting the lil' one run too deep on the big one.

Mud in the drums ?

Any noises or vibrations ?

Hate to just throw out guesses, kinda gotta be there to know.

I hope you get it figured out.

14. Pure Insanity

I havent messed w/ it at all today other than checking the condition of the fluid. Maybe Ill try to drive it tommorow, maybe Ill just wait and take it right to the shop on Monday. Im not sure. But when it goes in the shop its tear down time either way.

I was planning to put it in the shop on Tuesday anyhow and tear it semi apart to do some stuff.

15. Pure Insanity

Tcase SHOULD be full of fluid, I filled it when I put the tranny n a few weeks ago and it doesnt leak too badly. Just a little bleeding from the seam.

Rear axle very well could be low (most likely is) due to the rear hub seal leaking. I didnt think to look at the pinion nut but I will.

Mud in the drums, well of course!

Noises or vibes. Nope, not a one. Well no NEW ones. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

What gets me is it went from fine to messed up in no time flat. Ran fine, parked it, doesnt run fine now. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorta feels like the parking brake is on half set. I have a drag, but not a BAD drag like a fully set parking brake. But I have none of the parking brake stuff at all. I removed the cables when I had the axle apart last. Im half working on getting disks in the back, but the drums work SOOO good w/ the exception of having to adjust them every few weeks.

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ya know its realy not a big deal to compleatly rebuild a tranie. Im 16 years old and ive honestly rebuilt 2 th350's and 1 th400. No help from dady or a shop just an awsome hanes tranie repair manual. Its great step by step. ya cant go wrong as long as you do what the book says.

17. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i would check your P-brake and lines. My luv had something kinda like this happen and it turns out one of my drums was perty much siezed. It was cool how i found out though, i whent to stop and my right rear brake locked and threw the truck sideways /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Then when i tried to move it i ended up just smoking the left rear. So i had to drive it in reverse for 3 blocks to get it off a bussy street then walk 1mile home and take my bros car. It was funny.

18. Pure Insanity

I rebuilt a TH350 when I was about your age in HS shop class. I havent done one since. I have litterally done just about EVERY aspect of car repair in the last 15 yrs professionally. From paint and heavy collision repair for 13 yrs to mechanics now. Just NO tranny rebuilding. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If the guy didnt warrantee the tranny that was just built I was gonna do it myself. Time has always been a huge factor for me, most times its eaier to just pay someone to do what I am not sure of. I planned on tearing into the extra 350 that I had but thats now in the Blazer since the last one got so badly destroyed. The clutch drum was shattered, sprag broken off and destroyed, and the planetaries exploded, which in turn ruined the case too. Only thing salvageable was the valve body.

I will pick up one of those Haynes manuals tho and start reading, thanx for the encouragement. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Pure Insanity

I would consider that except..... [ QUOTE ]
    Sorta feels like the parking brake is on half set. I have a drag, but not a BAD drag like a fully set parking brake. But I have none of the parking brake stuff at all. I removed the cables when I had the axle apart last.

[/ QUOTE ] It stops dead straight, doesnt pull at all and the brakes feel normal. I just need to tear apart everything from the tranny to the axle and find out whats binding. Visually nothing is wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. Pure Insanity

I finally got off my dead a$$ and went out to actually look into whats going on. I found the pinion support was loose. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not falling out, just loose, about 1/4 turn per bolt. I tightened it up and took it for a ride around the block. It feels better, but not right yet. Now Im wondering if I hashed the R&P, but its not making any noise. Damn I hate being baffled! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I also power braked it when I parked in my driveway, the rear lifts and it tries to turn the 38s over, so its not a motor/power issue, or tranny that I can tell. All is normal except when I drive it. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Ill have a REAL update tommorow or Tuesday after I tear into the rear end.