Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think GM has sunk to a new low

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thunder, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Look what they have done to the respected SS name now

[​IMG]
    Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe in Victory Red. Available late fall.

[​IMG]
    Chrome-tip exhaust on Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe. Available late fall 2004. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It comes with a powerful supercharged 2.0L
    A direct-mount oil cooler.
    Oil jets for piston cooling.
    Heavy-duty pistons.
    Strong connecting rods.
    Forged-steel crankshaft.
    Large oil pump.
    Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved durability.
    A high-strength aluminum cylinder /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Love the part about "Strong connecting rods" /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I guess its a SS type <font color="red">R</font>
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/presell/

What do you all think?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think GM is trying to build what will sell. Love em or hate em... gay ricer crap sells to punk idiot kids.

j

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I'd wheel it

Strait off a cliff /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

At least Pontiac's attempt to bring back the GTO is a V8 rear wheel drive. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp?source=gtocom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifAnd it can smoke the ricers without the help of a sewer pipe fartknocker tip

That Chevy Rice Wannabe you show is a friggin embarrassment.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i guess thats a SRT-4 fighter, or what ever that "super neon" is. those neons are pretty fast, dont get me wrong i hate ricer cars, but its just like in the early 60's when HS kids were looking for cheap cars to "hop up" they found the 30's fords
    the only difference is those car's were and still are wayyyy cool /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it really is that stuff over again. Those cars kids used to buy are gone now they have ricers. I still want to see them bring back 60s muscle. Namely release a new damn Camaro with an LS2, 5 speed, and NO OPTIONS. Not even a damn radio. That would sell to kids. They'd still charge like $30k though /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Thats what muscle cars were in the 60s, go to the dealership, get the biggest motor and the least options. Nowadays you have to get leather and ass warmers just to get a higher horsepower motor /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I like the ads where the new LS2 powered C6 puts the Cobalt in its place though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i agree its a sad state of affairs in the big 3 right now, back in the day alot of the street muscle could take the corvette, Gm wouldent admit it but it was true, nowadays you cant buy anything from gm that will come close to touching the corvette, its all way to over priced /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But that new Vette is gonna be badass, i cant wait to see the specs on the new Z06 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the new Vette has the same horsepower as the Z06 and I doubt we will see an upper package for just a little bit. You are right about that though. In fact I doubt they will do anything to make a car that will touch the Vette. Heck they could easily hop the SSRs up but they choose not to. They have aluminum block 5.3Ls, drop an aluminum blocked 6.0 with the 345HP option in an SSR I bet it would come pretty damn close to a Vette.

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree, SS 2.0L = L A M E

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

11. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

They are dropping the LS2 in the SSR, the GTO as well. For the 05 model year. I don't have a problem with the Cobalt. I think for what they are trying to do with it it's pretty cool. I just think it's funny that all of the ricers are Honda this and Toyota that and two of the fastest compacts are from American companies. Nobody does fast like we do. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have a few insider buds that are telling me the same thing. They are coming out with a few more SS pickup options like a standard cab with a 6.0 HO or a ls2 with a 6-speed for 05. The ls2 6.0 is going in the GTO and the SSR. And the ls2 is rated at 400 hp while the zo6 will be rated at 405(5 hp diff). And since the ls2 is now the baseline performer for the corvette, for 2006 I think they are coming out with a stroked 7-liter(427) z06 package for the vette that is suppose to be detuned and made more streetable in the neighborhood of 500 HP /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!!!! Cant remember if they said 05 or 06 though. So trust me, even if GM does sell that little ricer POS, they still have their priorities for what really matters.

Remington

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

That's pathetic.

But somone is paying attention over at Dodge, with the release of the new Power Wagon.

Lets hope our friends at GM get a clue for the muscle car / truck market.

They need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

IIRC the Z06 will be out by the end of '06 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    i want to see some 427 checker flag badges for it!!! [​IMG]

15. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Cool! I hope they do it right! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    release a new damn Camaro with an LS2, 5 speed, and NO OPTIONS. Not even a damn radio. That would sell to kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that this helps the thread any, but GM didn't offer the options as a way to discourage people from buying these cars, all except the most hardcore people. There wasn't much "hidden" about these cars, they were built to race, they just couldn't admit the final use for them.

In any case, GM is doing what it can to survive. Cars die when they are not profitable. That's the reason the F-body is gone. The problem with the domestic car makers is that they are behind the curve. Part of that I'm not sure they can ever catch up to, since they lost the reputation of reliability many years ago to the foreign cars.

I'm not saying thats true necessarily, just that something that large is hard to come back from. GM is still out to lunch (IMO) on a few things though, that they COULD fix. Perhaps they don't fix these problems because they can't afford to, but look at the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.

Was looking at buying a Vibe not that long ago. (can't stand the stock fart pipe on that one though either) Anyways, salesman made the mistake of telling me it was a Matrix. I hadn't paid enough attention earlier to notice. Comparing the two side by side, they are near clones. Interior for all intents and purposes is identical, as is the exterior. The drivetrain IS identical.

So what has GM done? They charge $1000 more for the Vibe, and the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles less. So the same car, more expensive, less warranty. I should buy from GM why?

GM's putting Daewoo motors in the Aveo as well, although GM owns that part of Daewoo as I understand it, so that makes some sort of sense. Again, incentive to buy GM is?

The makers can't force the market to buy what they like, the market goes with the current trend, thus Honda's and Toyota's, and the Cobalt I guess. You can't blame GM for doing what (hopefully) will make them money.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i agree its a sad state of affairs in the big 3 right now,

[/ QUOTE ]

as much as I like Chevy... i have to point out that Dodge probably shouldn't be lumped in along with the other 2 with respect to "sellin out". The v10 viper is pure muscle, and the new 2005 powerwagon is a serious wheelin machine right from the factory.

j

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    At least Pontiac's attempt to bring back the GTO is a V8 rear wheel drive. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp?source=gtocom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifAnd it can smoke the ricers without the help of a sewer pipe fartknocker tip

That Chevy Rice Wannabe you show is a friggin embarrassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

That thing is sweet!! Aside from a 'vette, I didn't think I'd ever be able to buy a high perf/sporty "new" GM again...

19. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

If the C6 Corvette is selling out than I must be a sell out. For 3/4 the price of a Viper you can be nearly as fast, get better gas mileage, be more reliable, and be a hell of a lot more comfortable. The Viper is cool, but given the choice I'd take a C6 anyday.

20. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I had one of those cars on order, I was wanting a nice car at the time that would handle well. Well after realizing that it was comparable to my buddies SRT-4 I wanted one. I saw one at the Pop-Secret 500 and really liked the looks of it (except for the spoiler). From what I understand the car will be in the high 5, low 6's 0-60 range, and I think run 14's in the quarter. Show me a 70's muscle car that does all of the above that gets as good as mileage, drives as nice and has the same fit and finish for the same comparitive price. It just aint gonna happen. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Oh and instead, I bought an '03 2500HD cause my insurance was gonna be killer for me to drive that car at 19.

On the C6, I went to the sales class for it at Las Vegas Motor Speedway last week. HOLY [censored]! that car is bitchin, they had a ride and drive portion with an '04 911 Carrera, '04 Boxster S, and an 04 Z4. They had race car driving instructors riding shotgun telling us when to brake and turn in and such, and wow, the C6 just blew all of them away in handling and power. I cant wait to see the ZO6 or the so called "Blue Devil" Vette thats coming out. Oh and just so you know the Vette is the only 400 hp car for sale in the U.S. without Gas Guzzler tax. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif