Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I blew up my 700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Oct 16, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

just what the title says

i was driving it saturday and mashed on the skinny pedal, it tried to downshift but it didn't get any gear. after it finally caught the gear it SLAMMED in and i figured i'm just a few miles from home so i'll limp it home.
    on the way home it wouldn't shift into first unless i manually put it in, then it'd SLAM into 2nd and it wouldn't shift into 3rd or 4th. once i got it home i checked the fluid (since it has a small tranny leak) well it was full. had to pull out my mustang to drive for atleast this week. and also the little leak that i used to have has turned into a HUGE leak, the leak is coming from the inspection cover...

i guess it's a good thing i have a 700r4 from TCI sitting at my buddies shop, but the bad thing is my buddy just left to go on a cruise until next week

do you guy's know of any quick fix??? i really don't want to put my new tranny in until i'm ready to put my new motor and FI in

2. czd3my

czd3my Registered Member

Well...if it is leaking out of the inspection cover it could be possible that it blew out the front seal, it's a common problem on older 700r4's. Not sure that would make it not shift correct. I rebuilt a 2004r (same basic design only smaller) that the PO said it wouldn't shift and it had a blown front seal. Might be worth checking in to, but you have to remove the tranny to replace it so you might as well swap it out if you are that far in...know what I mean!

3. 92k1500CO

92k1500CO Registered Member

700-r4

It's quite common for the 700-r4's to have the TV get stuck. It'll get gummed up or sheared and won't let you out of 1st. Pretty soon you won't even be able to MANUALLY shift it into 2nd!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As said check the TV valve/cable. Also pull of the round cover in the rear left of the trans and check the governor. You might have stripped the gear. Its cheap and easy to replace