Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i think i broke my truck, comment please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.LaHoyaSunset, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

alright, so i might have committed a sin with regards to my truck... when driving back from London, Ohio, i ran through a few large puddles, and i figured no biggie, ive driven in the rain.... although not a large problem at the time..... one of the puddles was hiding a large pothole.... so i hit the pothole, and the truck started knocking and wouldnt start for a while, so i let it cool and dry off, as tons of water was thrown about....
    after drying and cooling i start it up... about 3 miles later i notice that it is overheating... so i pull over and the radiator starts spewing coolant all over.... crap i think... once it is empty and dry, i fill it with another load of coolant and let it cool, throw two quarts of oil... it was low...and start it up again... with trouble it starts, then starts overheating again... I determined that no coolant was being pushed into the engine. I work for the red cross and had about 15,000 worth of equipment in my truck and had to get back, so i let it completely cool and zero out, load it up with coolant and oil, and drive slowly back home... a loud knocking sound as if the camshaft was busted was made the entire trip along route three home.... luckily i make it home, but not after spewing oil smoke out and being roastingly hot, the temp gague was twitching from zero to overheat, along with the noise...
    here is my question, is the truck busted? did i break a piston? I have heard a clang clang, and am probably a moron for driving it home, but I had no other way to get home and i was stuck in bumfuck ohio.....Would buying another engine work? or should i just scrap the truck and buy a suburban? i was thinking mid 90s.... any thoughts?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you injested some water when you were driving over the large puddles. You could have internal engine damage, pull the pan and inspecting it would be your best bet.

3. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Are you actually losing oil and coolant? Does your oil look like a chocolate milk? If it does, do an oil change on it, only if you are not losing oil. You might have to does this a couple of times to get all the water out of the oil, if this is your problem... Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like you hydo-locked it and broke something. Pulling the pan should give you a better idea...but from your description I think the motor is done. A new motor would certainly be cheaper than a new truck...

I wouldn't be surprised to find you had a cracked cylinder allowing exhaust gases and stuff into the coolant and overpressurizing the rad.

Rene

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you hydo-locked it and broke something. Pulling the pan should give you a better idea...but from your description I think the motor is done. A new motor would certainly be cheaper than a new truck...

I wouldn't be surprised to find you had a cracked cylinder allowing exhaust gases and stuff into the coolant and overpressurizing the rad.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Sounds like you got some water in there. A new motor is cheap when compared to buying a new truck.

John

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Didnt know it was that easy to injest water. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wonder if he had an open element or something. Takes a lot of water to kill a SBC.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

100 cc's at just the right moment would be all it would take. A lot of vehicles have a cold air intake behind the grill...

Rene

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    100 cc's at just the right moment would be all it would take. A lot of vehicles have a cold air intake behind the grill...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a loose air cleaner box /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I was lucky as soon as I hit the water it died so I took all the spark plugs out and cranked until all the water and it wasn't 100CC got out. Cleaned the spark plugs put them back and fired it up and drove out.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

from what all you all are saying, i have decided to junk the truck, and off load it to someone else who wants it, and im gonna go for a suburban.... stupid loans, but oh well, it happens...
    thanks all you guys for advice and comments,
    with the new truck on the way, ill probably be under a different forum..... the b urban one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

So what exactly are you getting rid of then /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif