Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I found an eBay scammer (long read) and AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big94gmc, Apr 26, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

This is a long read....sorry.

I'd like to buy a bike (50 mpg ain't nothing to sneeze at). So I'm looking on eBay. I see a nice Yamaha, so I email the guy to clear up some confusion..... Just check this out: (this is the email I sent reporting the auction for investigation)

In regards to: Item number: 4545861118

I emailed the address provided in the autiton asking for the VIN number, and
    other questions. I recieved back two 'cookie cutter' emails, identical. Here
    it is:

"Hello there,
    Thank you for your interest in purchasing my bike. I know that are numerous
    offers on eBay and I'm glad that you choose to contact me regarding your
    willingness to purchase.
    I am a seller not a shop and I had ( for the moment ) the privillege to buy this
    bike for low cost from a bankrupt store so that you have the opportunity to
    purchase from me a great saving from the original price.We bought it along with
    others in order to make a showroom, but life had another plan for us.My wife was
    promoted but we had to move to Chicago, IL and we do not have time to use it
    anymore. Besides, there are a lot of things which have priority now, so, this
    bike has to go.
    I must inform you that currently I'm in Chicago, IL and I have to let you know
    that the bike is here with me .You will receive your bike in 2-3 working days by
    the shipping company from your town at your home address.It is insured in case
    of damage and it take 2-3 days to be delivered at your DOOR.I will send you the
    bike with all the papers (warranty,insurance etc ...) .
    It has always been garage kept,and is in showroom condition.No damages, no
    scratches or dents,never touched the ground, no hidden defects, the engine
    doesn't smoke, runs and sounds awesome, the engine has never been repaired or
    something like that, never been into accidents and it is as advertised. Time is
    really an issue and we have to move fast. The shipping costs and the insurance
    taxes of the package will be down to me.The unit is being shipped from Chicago,
    IL and you won't have to pay for customs or any additional taxes when it
    arrives in your country. There may be some customs for you to pay, but we can
    avoid them : I will declare the shipping as a gift/donation.Now we have our
    money stuck with these bikes so the low price is for a fast cash deal. In normal
    circumstances Paypal is my favorite way of receiving the payment but
    unfortunately for the moment i have some troubles with my paypal account and i
    am forced not to accept this method at this time. Anyway i hop!
    e this is not a problem because i am a Square Trade member and all the payment
    process will be done through them.If you agree with moving forward with the deal
    through square trade please email me as soon as possible YOUR FULL NAME AND
    ADDRESS.As soon as i receive these informations from you i will forward them to
    Square Trade along with the rest of the details in order for them to open a case
    regarding our deal. After you receive the notification from Square Trade please
    give me an email and confirm me if we have a deal.

Waiting for your email,
    John Richard"

Since the auction plainly states 'I want only $2,700', I replied to the email
    that I was hoping for something other then a pre-fabbed email, but that I would
    send a cashiers check for $2,700 the following day if the person would
    sell....even though at the time the current bidding was $5,100 with nearly 6
    days left.

"Dear Sir,

Please give me your full name and address to inform eBay Square Trade about our
    deal and to start the transaction.

Thanks"

is the reply I got back almost immediately. I didn't give any info about
    myself, but asked for the VIN again, and asked if I could speak on the phone
    with the person to get my questions answered, 'cause I was a bit suspicious or
    the need for a quick sale. Finally, I got the VIN in this email:

"Dear Sir,

The VIN Number: JYARJ04E32A025381.
    I can't speak with you over the phone.Please send me all your questions Iand I
    will answer.Please give me your full name and address to inform eBay Square
    Trade about our deal and to start the transaction.
    I'm waiting your reply to finish our deal and to start the shipping.

Best Regards"

I asked questions about the bikes location, the title, since carfax clearly
    states that it's a salvaged titled, yet he's saying it's clear, and plainly
    states in his email this never been dropped, and why shipping was a no cost. I
    haven't gotten a response yet. I am very leary....something is not right. I
    felt pressured to give my information and send money (especially when it states
    that his PayPal isn't working, and cashiers check/money order/personal check is
    best). I'd like to believe this great looking bike can be had at this great
    price, but I don't think it's legit. Please look into it immediately, and
    prevent anything damaging to any other eBay'ers.

Thank you very much.
    Chris Rufner

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4545861118&rd=1&rd=1

Something just ain't right..... :mad: I hope this makes sense to ya'll too.....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a TOTAL scam.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Personally, my eBay "scam alert" light goes steady-bright when the seller brings up the 3rd sob-story reason he's selling something for a steal... and even more so when they start talking about being unable to accept payments via PayPal.
    Run away.......

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I know, I know.... :mad: I just wish it wasn't a scam - I'd love to find a the 'steal' that's legit. :(

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'm also currently amazed at the lack of grammar and wording. Looks like a translation type machine to me.

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Total Scam........defitanly go with what your gut tells ya. If you have doubts on a ebay auction, its better just to avoid it an move on.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When someone is having "Troubles with Pay Pal" It is a red alert to me.
    Pay Pal suspends your account if there are complaints like Non shipment of items if they are payed for.
    Run away! Run away!

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Run fast. Run far. Total scam. I found one of those. Keep e-mailing the guy, the responses get progressivly more absurd and funny.

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Nah, I'm just gonna ignore 'em....block 'em if I have to. He keeps asking for my info. What a douche.

On the plus side, I didn't see the auction listed when I checked for it this morning. I feel kinda good....I hope I prevented someone from getting ripped off. Problem is, ya know this person will try it again. :mad: :mad:

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Foward the auction and the bizarre e-mails to Ebay. This is the first step in stopping this fraud.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

My first thought is why anyone would try to explain why they would sell something other then to try to put up a false pretense. Anyone else would not need an explanation. Example: I am selling this because I don't need it anymore etc... SCAM! If you want to sell something then sell it, why explain?

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HMM........wonder if its the same guy who had a Gixxer for like 3200. I asked him a few questions. He replied in a letter somewhat to that, but not as long. My buddy and I KNEW it was a scam, and he knows a lot about ebay, so he told me to ask him if hed take the money Western Union i belive, if he would, its a scam. I asked him, he never responded. On somehitng like that, you gotta see it in person.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You guys should advertise a car on Autotrader. I got at least 5 scam replys a week. I replied to them and strung them along a little just for fun. Some of the stories are unbeliveable, but they almost all started with you getting a cashiers check for more than the sales price and refunding the difference to the buyer immediatly.

14. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Ummm...I think ya missed the point. I did send the info in - that's what the colored portion of the first post was. And within a couple hours, the auction was no longer online.

And get this shiat!!!!! I think I found another one!!!! The auctions states it's location as "US", that's it. No VIN listed. Great looking new bike, low miles, only $3000. I email the guy with questions like anyone else would do, and get back this reply:

"Hello there and thanks for your interest.

The bike is excellent condition.It has never been down and it hasn't seen the rain.
    This is a one owner bike and it has a clear title.

If you are interested in buying it the price is $3000.00.
    The bike will be shipped from Greece on my expense.
    The bike is still US registered so you will not have to pay any custom taxes.

The transaction will be done through Ebay for our own protection.
    Your funds will be 100% insured by Ebay and I will be sure that I will receive the payment.
    You will have 15 days from the time you receive the bike
    to inspect the bike and decide if you want to keep the bike or not

If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through Ebay.

I look forward to hear from you.

Warm Regards"

WTF?!?!?! Faawking idiots! I'm tired of this shiat!!