Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i think i have to fire my other machinist

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rdn2blazer, Sep 23, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

now that the shop is raging busy, the true person is revealed. i told her when i hired her that we didn't work alot of over time but when we do we need to work it. she said over time was no problem. through out the year she has been here we have had a bit of ot and she has had excuse after excuse why she could not stay late or come in on saturday. i dont want to work ot any more ot then the next person, but i feel you got to do what you got to do.

i have covered for her on her jobs many times and had to come in saturdays to do her jobs too. well right now we are swamped. tooling, production, emergency jobs that are first priority jobs. now im getting i dont like doing ot, i dont work saturdays. there are only two of us in the machine shop and i cant afford to loose a body, but at this point im ready to just boot her right out the door and find someone who is willing to work. hell she's not even a great machinist anyways, she just seemed to be the best i could find after interviewing like 15 or so people. had the most expierence with 24 yrs in the trade. she might have that much time in the trade, but after that much time she should be way better.

i have warned her and told her we need her to be here, and if she cant work when we need her, then we dont need her at all. i think its time to cut our losses and find someone else.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like it, ain't gonna get any better, sounds like!

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Keep her till you find someone else if you need too. Don't throw her out till you have someone else to take her place unless you can do the work yourself. Would not be the first person worked all day and then told your fired. Alot of people would like the overtime right now. With the gas prices and christmas coming.

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

My shop is busy right now too. We have about 40 machinists in our shop so their are more bodies to split the OT but the same thing happens here just at a larger levell. Our policy is that they can require up to 45hrs/wk then its optional. I have been pulling 45-65 hrs a week for 2 months now with only 2 weeks being under 50hrs. Now I like OT and have 4x4 and home projects that are enjoying the extra money but it is getting to the point where I have had enough. This week I only have 42hrs on the clock and will be in for 5hrs tomorrow so 47hrs. We have 3 machines requireing setups this right now and I will only get to two of them tomorrow. They asked me to come in Sunday and set up the 3rd machine. I suggested that they look at some of the guys that have been putting in 40hrs tops but they all had "plans" this weekend.

I think the big thing that kills those of us that put in the hours is dedication to our companies. I started at my shop when their were 3 people in the lathe dept and 3 in milling. Being part of the companies growth makes you loyal to them and I feel guilty when we miss a deadline. These new guys are just in it to make their 40hrs and collect a paycheck. They will just head to the next shop if we go under. No loyalty.

Anyway I feel your pain and if I wasn't 2000miles away I might look into a job at your smaller shop where we could hit our deadlines as a team :D