Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I just made a mistake...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Jun 13, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok...just ordered stock length RS9000's, then I had an urge and I went and priced tires and wheels, and realized that I can get them for cheaper than I thought. I was thinking around 1500 for tires and rims, but I was off by about 500$, and with that money that I had planned, I could lift the blazer, and run a little bigger tire!! So...can stock length RS's be run with a 4" lift? I wanna do the 4" rough country lift and 33" BFG's, but I was gonna wait on that and get some 32's...what should I do?

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>
    "Awh....Prarie $hit!!" -Blazing Saddles

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

GO BIG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are dong a 4 inch lift go with the 35's. You won't regret it... It will fit too with just a tad bit of triiming...
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigblue on 06/13/01 05:50 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If you are gonna be doing any off roading, the stock Ranchos will be too short for good shock travel...your truck will need shocks that are 4" longer to get the same travel now...oh, and go for the 33s now, they will fit no problem with a 4" lift!

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

No, you can't use the stock height shocks with a 4" lift. Go with 33's depending an what your gearing is.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I agree... 4 inches w/ 33's.. and I'm assuming your truck is running 3.73 gears.. the 33's and 4 inch will be perfect..
    Then you can always go with the ORD Zero Rate 1 inch lift springs if you want to go taller.. or the extended shackles and shackle flip if 35's are desired..
    Just some options to keep cost's down..
    btw.. I'm really happy with my Rough Country 4 inch lift.. front/rear springs..
    Rides nice.. and not to harsh..
    http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

6. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I do have 3.73's and I would not change my gears. My plans were put on hold a little...gonna buy a dirt bike first...but I have a full time job for the summer, so I am shooting for the end of the summer. Guess I will just sell the Ranchos when the time comes and get new ones...Thanks!

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>
    "Awh....Prarie $hit!!" -Blazing Saddles

7. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

On the same topic.....

I have a primarily stock 86 Blazer with a new crate motor 350. The axles are stock - the truck was originally a 305.

I am going to use the Rough Country 4" lift kit and I plan to change to 33" tires. What does the gear ratio have to do with the tire size. I really do not do that much off roading - especially since I live on an island - but I am from Texas and plan to return. Still I will not do much severe off roading - I use it more for back country dune driving along the coast.

Does anyone know what the ration of the stock 305 86 Blazers were?

Thanks

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Stock ratio for most trucks around your year were 3.08's with the 305 engine.
    3.73's w/ 33's.. the truck doesn't have to work as hard to get the truck going up to speed..
    I recently did a axle swap from 3.08's to 3.73's .. and my truck no longer struggles getting up to speed.. before I could barely get it over 70.. now I can bury the needle w/ the 3.73's.
    Plus it helped on my gas mileage. Went from 8 to 10 mpg to 12-13 miles per gallon.. I know it doesn't seem like much.. but I'm really pleased... guess I'll keep my 305 til she blows now..
    The gears really helped..
    Sorry if this seems choppy.. just got back from exercising..and I feel dizzy.. [​IMG]

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>