Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I know what the loud clanking noise is-14bff w/ Detroit.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Jul 14, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I posted a question about this several months back. The rear end is a 14bff with Detroit. When you let off the gas, or "tap" the gas the drivetrain makes a loud clanking/banging noise. It sounded like it was coming from between the transfer case and trans. Some here suggested it might be a drive sleeve, which sounded reasonable to me.

Today, a mechanic who really knows his stuff drove it and looked at it, and said that it was the locker, or something about the locker. We jacked up the back and played with it. While driving down the street, the locker acts like it's taking a corner and only one side really gets the power. When only one side is engaged, there is much more "slop" in the drive. However, when you get them to both engage while jacked up, the slop all but disappears. So he thought that maybe it's not driving down the road quite straight or that one side of the axle may be a little out front of the other (I have blocks in the back for now). This would make the locker "think" that it's taking a corner since one tire would be spinning faster than the other. This usually happens when tires are different sizes, but these are identical. Anyway, thought I'd post in case anyone else runs into this.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check the air pressure as well. A few PSI difference between the 2 sides will make the locker disengage quite frequently.