Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I made a goo SCORE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Nov 8, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Went to a large swap meet at Thompson CT Speedway,it was a beautiful 65 degree day--first time in 10 years I didnt have to dress like an eskimo there!.I found a guy selling a bunch of tranny's and transfer cases--I saw 3 NP208's lined up in a row,two were the TH350/700R4 versions with the 4 bolt adaptor--number 3 was calling my name--it was a TH400 version I beleive,it has 32 fine splines,and a six bolt adapter housing.I'm hoping its not a SM465 one,but if it is ,no big deal because my diesel already has a working NP208 in it,so I could just swap the adapter.I bought this case for a spare,since my current one I beleive is stuck in 4hi,and I dont want the truck down too long if the case screws up during plowing season.They guy wanted 40 bucks apeice for them--I took a chance near the end of the day when the crowd was thinning out--he was still there,and so was the NP208--I offered him 30 bucks,and he said OK-- /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif--It shifts OK by hand,feels nice and tight,its from an 86 truck according to the tag.If I had more cash I would have bought a lot more--he had a TH350/NP203 setup he offered to me for 20 bucks!-so he wouldnt have to haul it home.I would have jumped on it,but my 74 K20 that needs a tranny really isnt worthy of fixing it--another guy was interested after I talked to him,he told him 40 bucks!--since I didnt need another NP203 in my shed,I passed on it,even though it was probably a dood deal--but its a crap shoot buying this kind of stuff at a swap meet--but you take the same chance at the junkyards too--their only gaurantee is they will give you another one(if they HAVE another one,no cash refunds)so I figured for 30 bucks,the adapter alone was worth that much,even if the case was junk--but it feels fine to me.Now--does anyone have a photo of a NP208 to TH400 adaptor,so I can see if mine is a TH400 or an SM465 adaptor??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    It was a great swap meet,lots of good stuff very cheap,since its the last one outdoors this year.One guy,an off road racer,was selling 35 inch MTR's with only 1 race on them,like new,for 400 for a set of 4--a brand new set for 500 bucks--I was drooling! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif--there were many transfer cases and 3/4-1 ton axles too,but the only dana 60's I saw were dodge and fords,same with NP205 cases,no GM ones that I saw.But it was a 2 day show,and I went the second day,so a lot of the "gold"may have been mined already!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Good score , I paid 50 for mine from a member here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Now--does anyone have a photo of a NP208 to TH400 adaptor,so I can see if mine is a TH400 or an SM465 adaptor???

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a day off , I can take a pic of my sm465 to np208 adapter so you can see if your is that or not , if you want

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 208's from th400's and sm465's are physically the same. I don't know if the adapters are (doubt it) but you can use your current adapter on the 400 with a 465 case.

the 465/208 adapter is about 8-10" long, so if the adapter is short it is probably a 400 adapter.

Harley

5. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    the 465/208 adapter is about 8-10" long

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah there pretty long , looks like a bugle too /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. pauly383

If the adapter looks like this , it is NOT a th400 adapter , it would be to a sm465 . Funky pattern on one end 6 round on case end . I made a 32 spline 27 spline for my th700 truck , but my other truck is 465/208

[​IMG]

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

This adaptor is pretty short--It sounds like I got the TH400 one I wanted! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif--if anyone has a picture that would be nice,but I could just crawl under the diesel truck and look at the one already there /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif--just thought of that!.
    And I meant to say GOOD score,not a GOO score--that requires a woman! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif(dam this keyboard anyway!). /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif