Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i think i might have a problem with my front high angle shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Oct 21, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I only have about 3" tops of open spline when on level ground. I looked at Steve Fox's front driveshaft and he has at least 6".
    [​IMG]

Man this fawking truck is going to give me gray fawking hair. Look's like I am going to have to pull the shaft and get it shortened...fawkin [darn].

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Could be worse. You could be like me and not have a fancy front shaft to shorten /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And I am still trying to find a way to get that tailgate from jimmy88. I may just break down and drive out, swing past pappys and pick up my tires while I'm out that way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dood that sucks.

Have you cycled your front springs yet? You did get new ones didn't you?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You have 3" of compression available? That's more than enough, my last shaft only had 2" or so. Do the math, I doubt that the shackles will even allow the axle to travel that far back.

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The truck might be running this weekend, so I will try to flex it out and see if the t-cases rip off of the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Steve fox might have gotten a long spline version as where it sounds like you have a normal one. Just an thought.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Okay so it's really ugly and hard to see but - if you measure along the arc of the spring to the face of the yoke, remember it (the blue line); and then measure that same distance directly from the spring eye (red line); and mark it. Then measure from the face of the t-case flange to the mark (yellow line) and the length from the flange to the yoke (purple). Then take the difference between the purple and yellow distances you have the total possible amount that the driveshaft should ever have to compress right? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Hopefully less than 3".

8. FWP

FWP CRS

You're fine, as Evan said. Leaf springs, typical shackles, you would probably be into the frame/exhaust/oil pan before the d-shaft would bottom. My .02

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

As the others said, you will be fine.

Just think, if you go with coils and 4 link, you will only need about 1/4" of travel if done right! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif