Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Think I Might Have Just Had A Brainwave...Tell me if I'm Crazy!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Mar 10, 2004.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I Think I Might Have Just Had A Brainwave...Tell me if I\'m Crazy!!

When I scouring the '74 Eldorado for my starter, with the hydroboost swap still fresh in my mind, my eye caught the Caddilacs proprtioning valve. I took a pretty damn good look at it, and it looked VERy similar to the stock proportioning valve in my blazer. The brakes for a stock eldorado and blazer are pretty damn siliar too, 12bolt rear end drums, and basically 1/2 or 3/4T front brakes.

I thought about when I swap on my '78 Eldorado rear disc brakes, what mod's I'll have to make to get it all to work, proportioning valve and all.

Well the '78 Caddy I pulled the rear discs off of...would it's proportioning valve not be damn near EXACTLY tuned right (minus the Dana 60 calipers) for 4 wheel discs?? That would save a hell of a alot of hassle for the time being if I didnt have to put an in-cab aftermarket adjustable valve in.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: I Think I Might Have Just Had A Brainwave...Tell me if I\'m Crazy!!

I think an Eldorado, although very heavy , has its weight distributed differently from most of our trucks. It may work out great, but it may not. Try it in a controlled area without many people or vehicles around and let us know how it works out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: I Think I Might Have Just Had A Brainwave...Tell me if I\'m Crazy!!

Why make the swap more complex than it has to be? Do the swap, drive the truck with stock prop valve and see how it is. My truck stops exceptionally well, no premature lock-up in the rear and all with stock prop/combo parts.

Rene