Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I need a new fender

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Nov 13, 2002.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I'm currently working on re-painting my blazer, and working on the RH front fender I am discovering that it has been badly butchered and fixed repeatedly from the looks. There is up to a 1/4" of bondo in placed and one spot along the wheelwell has what looks like oxy-acetalyne weld on it that has been covered with bondo. my dilema is: do I strip the fender and try to fix whats been done to it, OR do I get another fender and put it on. and If i do so should I order a 150 dollar replacement or go to a junkyard and salvage one, not knowing if it is in teh same shape underneath teh paint? thanx guys for your input!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would try the junk yard first if you decide to replace it and take a magnet with you you will be able to see if there is bondo in it with that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

If you get on from a salvage yard look behind it for tell-tale lumps.

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Any truck fender will work. I'd try looking over on the 67-72 chevytrucks.com board. I have seen decent (not perfect) fenders go for $25 (even seen a few for free.)

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

If RH means passenger side, you can still get a genuine GM one from a dealership - this is because the battery tray mount tends to rust the fender out and GM continued to make it much longer than the driver side. They may have to locate it but they still exist and they're not that much more than aftermarket. As for the driverside, you'll have to go aftermarket or to a bone yard.

Good luck!