Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i think i need a new fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvymudin3388, May 23, 2006.

1. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

i was driving down the rode and noticed it wouldnt go there was like no power. it kept syumling so i pulled in to a freinds drive way and killed it.talked to them bout it and next thing you know it wont restart cranks great but im not getting fuel and the pump wont prime when you turn on the key. so i dont know what to think of it. any one got any ideas?

2. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Is it electric? I just finished fitting mine. We need some more info.

3. chvymudin3388

its the fuel pump i hooked up to the relay right before the pump and turned it on with a test light hooked up to it and it came on for 2 seconds and went off as if it were priming the pump. when i dropped the tank finally i took out the sending unit and pump and hooked it up to the relay and turned it on and it popped my fuse put in another my dad watched the relay and said it started smoking like a short in the pump so i think its the pump wat u guys think? and yes it is electric.

4. francis

francis Registered Member

yeah replace the pump. but put in a pump for a 90-92 camaro z28 with tuned port injection, it works great. oh yeah that is only if you have tbi.:D sorry

5. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I run a holley blue. About $100.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This happened to me last night!
    About 1 am ran outta gas and coasted into a gas station.. after i put $30 in, the truck still wouldn't start.. and i tried for a few minutes. :crazy:
    I was just about to give up and start walking home, and figure i'd be changing an electric fuel pump this morning at the gas station...
    Then i figured what the hell and pushed on the shrader valve to see how much gas would come squirting out... well only a little came out and then a bunch of air..
    BAM. It primed the fuel pump again. problem solved.
    I thought even if i run out of gas and then fill it up, the electric fuel pump should just start pumping again. Wrong. I guess after the fuel pump sucks air it can't get a prime going again.. well maybe unless you let it sit for a few hours. :wink1:

7. chvymudin3388

i got a tbi will a 90- 92 work?