Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i think i need lockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Oct 18, 2005.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

well i got a 83 k5 blazer with the 6.2 ltr diesel. well today i almost got stuck in the mud. i had her wide open in 4low. and only one tire was spinning from what i could tell. the water was too deep for me to actually see the tires but i could only see spray from the right rear. I think i need lockers to fix this but i am still a newbie. what lockers should i get. and i also want to get lower gears. what should i look for and where?? thanks for the help

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What do you have for axles? Most of the time lockers in 10 bolts and lower gears will cost more than just buying a set of 3/4 ton axles that are stronger and already have lower gears then adding a locker. Lockers in a 10 bolt are also a good way to end up with a pile of broken parts faster.

3. general blaze

i am not sure what is in it. i just got the truck a little while ago. but it is slow as hell off the line. and have no low end power. how do i tell what is in there

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Best way is to compare how many times the driveshaft turns for each tire revolution...

If you go for steeper gears, make sure you don't go too steep, or your diesel will have itself wound out before it makes highway speeds.

5. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Well diesels aren't the fastest engines off the line... in fact that are just pretty weak when it comes to that. Assuming that the axels are stock you've probably got some high gears. 3.08 most likely - pretty crappy. I'm around 300hp with my 350 and have trouble spinning my 31" because of those damn 3.08s (I don't push it too hard though). A little bit of a lower ratio, say in the 4.10, 4.56 rage would give you a little more torque/power but not burn out that 6.2 on the highway. Guess it also depends if your transmission is an overdrive.

You can probably find this info on the inner wheel well inside the engine bay (Thats how my 84 is... I assume 83 is probably the same). Look around in there to see if you can find a sticker with your trucks specifications on it. :D

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Well your old deisel will be no rocket off the line, thats just how those motors are. Get a detroit in the rear. Or if you plan on getting bigger axles, get something like a Lock-Right and save a little $$$.

7. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

Look at the axle on top by the diff. there is a serial # call the dealer with it they can tell you

8. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

if the truck is *stock* you prolly have 10 bolt axles. you could run 33s with different gears but you'll be waiting for something to break. (i wouldn't do this)

you prolly have 3.08 gears. these are high gears. some thing like 3.73s or 4.10s (if you have overdrive) would be a better bet if you're going to keep the stock axles.

putting a locker in a 10 bolt greatly increases the chances of breaking it. that said, detroit lockers, and lock-rights are two popular options.

if you plan on continued use off-road, the best thing to do is to swap in 3/4 ton axles. (i would do this) you would have a 14 bolt full floater rear axle and a dana 44/10 bolt front axle. i'm not sure of the difference on the 1/2 ton 10 bolt and the 3/4 ton 10 bolt (besides having more lug nuts).

most 3/4 ton trucks came with 4.10s, some were higher, some were lower. check the axle to make sure (ask if you don't know how to this). once you have those axles in you could go with 33-35" tire. put a detroit locker in the rear and wheel that and see how you like it.

i would also recommend a steering box brace. but don't get too carried away with modifications. don't be afraid to have a truck that's not "super modified".

have fun and post pics. :laugh:

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Also, to each, his own, but I would not run 4 lo in mud unless there was a specific reason. But as for just driving through the mud, I'd use high. But, like I said, it's just not what I'd do.. I'm not trying to tell you how to wheel your vehicle. But, from the info you posted, it sounds like you could have went with HI . One reason, if for nothing else, the wheel speed that is often a part of going through deep mud, is probably going to exceed the recommended 45 mph maximum for 4 lo.

10. general blaze

i have a video of the entire thing but i dont know how to post it.. I chose 4low because i dont think the torque would hav gotten me thru in high. I almsot got stuck as it was. the tires were just not moving. my old truck had a stroked 350 and lockers and if i started to get stuck i could just stomp the gas and throw muc everywhere. this is not happening..

anyway i think i want to just change axels. i beat the crap out of my truck. i did not buy it to just cruz the streets. i want this thing airborn... so where do i get axels from. can i just go to a junk yard and say " give me some 3/4 ton axels" or what.. i need this info laid out in terms a retard could understand....

thanks for all the feedback though. i will take some pics if you want there is a huge mud hole outside myhouse right now.. once i finish painting the front fender i will go get it stuck for you guys.

11. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton axles

My truck came stock with 3/4 tons... They should bolt right up to your truck easily....3/4 ton axles came stock on K20 pickups and Suburbans. They have 8 lug wheels. The rear has 14 bolts on the differential cover. the front has 10 bolts. There are two types of 14 bolts, the 14 bolt full float and semi-float (often reffered to as 14bff and 14bsf on this website).... from what I understand, both are great but the full float is perhaps more desiarble. You can identify a full float by the big hubs that have bolts on them.

[​IMG]

12. general blaze

yoou rock i wish everyone would answer questions like that.

13. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: no problem... CK5 is the greatest place on the net, there are so many helpful people here. I ask 400 questions for every one that I answer ;)

14. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

45 mph in lo range?

Do people actually follow that?

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Are you saying that people shouldn't follow a recommendation to use LO for Lo speed travel?

I use it for creeping along, crawling, and climbing. If I use it in mud, it's only if I need to creep, crawl or climb something short. Otherwise, for mud, I stick to HI,... period.

:dunno: To each his own I guess. I'm not the one who'll be working on it.. so if some guy wants to run full throttle in 2nd gear on his tranny, for that matter, who am I to say any different?

:crazy:

16. trailblazr81

Probabaly the cheapest route would be to start searching junkyards for a 3/4 ton truck. Thats what I would do since cant afford to buy new axles.

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I agree on the using 4lo. Realistically, using 4L because you dont believe you have enough torque to get you through is kinda the wrong thought-

The only thing that will get you through is momentum- thats why you never stop in the middle of a mud hole. Once your stuck, your pretty stuck. Momentum is key- and part of that momentum is entry speed, and keeping speed throught the obsticle.

Try keeping the tcase at 4H and use first gear on your tranny. these 6.2's arent monsters, but they will do fine- however, unlike a gas motor, wont let you spin the tires as freely, so if your trying to clear off mud- you need to have the tranny /tcase in a higher gear.

18. trailblazr81

And heres a helpfull tip... "If you cant get through the mud pit at 70MPH, you cant get through it!!!!
    :haha: :haha: :haha:

Its all about entry speed, tire spinning to clean the lugs, and sometimes sawing on the wheel left n right to find some traction.
    More HP, bigger gears, locker(s) for added traction and bigger tires to dig bigger holes!! :waytogo:

19. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

that ol' 6.2

i personally have a 6.2 jimmy (build up is in my signature), and i haven't had any problems running my tires with the stock gearing (3.73) without a traction aid. Also i do run it in 4 low through the nasty mud around here just for the quick wheel spin to clean the tires, the engine has a rev-limiter @ like 3,500rpm or something like that, so you don't have to be afraid of blowin it up. the 6.2 has great torque, you just gotta know how to use it and when to use it. Just my 2cents, you can take it, or send it right back. :D

20. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

4 lo

I was just asking about the 45mph limit in lo range, not specifically for mud. I have on many occasions, including mud, run 60mph wheel speed in lo range and just assumed everyone did. I guess not everyone does.