Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I probably got SCREWED on EBAY!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 11, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Ok, how do you test KC's? Somebody told me you put the base on the neg batt terminal and the wire on the + batt terminal. I told the lady on ebay to do this, and she emailed me saying all the lights work wonderfully. As it turns out, these light have 2 wires, a red and a black. The reds are clipped off even, so they couldn't have even touched a terminal. I tried to test one by putting the base - batt terminal and the stripped black wire on the + batt terminal. NO LIGHT. One of the lights does have a stripped place in which I can make connection with the red wire to the + batt terminal and black wire to the - terminal. NO LIGHT. Am I missing something on how to corretly test these lights? The filaments in the bulbs don't look to be broken, but I surely can't get them to work. I hope I didn't flush 91 bucks down the toilet on blown pieces of crap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks,
    James

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

why dont you re strip the wires and try again? you need a decent connection and corroded wire wont give you that. cut like and inch of the wire, then strip it and try again.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

is it just me or is that bx cable used on the lights? or is that how kc's come wired?:confused:

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

red (positive) / black (negative)

if they don't light,,,Autozone has replacement 100 watt bulbs for like $5-6 or so.

5. 78Suburban

I love ck5

I swear, I can sit at this computer and the problem will be solved in a matter of seconds. The wires were just corroded, Stripped back and all 4 work wonderfully. I see green spots of damage in my eyes right now, those things are so hot they almost burn the hair off my arms. There is still NO way that woman tested the lights out, but fortunately they all work. Now I just have clean them up, paint them, figure out how to make the light bar work, and figure out how to mount those funky light bases. I may be needing some closeups of how your kc's are bolted down, all those funky washers and rubber things confuse me. Anyway, I'm Happy now :bow: Time to go unpackage the light bar and bracktes.
    thanks,
    James

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

not a problem, when copper wiring gets we it corrodes, turns green and it no worky:D ive had to fix too much wiring liek this:rolleyes: man i really love working on a 93, everything is the way its supposed to be:D:rolleyes:

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do those say kc on them? those look like the ones i run and they are $20 each NEW

8. 78Suburban

KC stamped into the housing and lenses. They work awsome now that I figured out how to correctly test them. :bow:
    thanks,
    James

9. 78Suburban

here are some pics

the light bar fits like a glove. Sanded down tons of rust and chrome on the lights and rattle canned them. I'm gonna leave the light bar chrome, because If I decide to sell that bar, it'll go for more $$.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks,
    James

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You paid $91 for those rust buckets? And they didn't come with all the hardware?
    I think you did get screwed.

11. 78Suburban

$66. Shipping was 25. A new pair is $115. These light up great and have a light bar. They do have all the hardware. its 4 lights. I'm happy with them. :o

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Welp... that's all that matters.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well he got twice as many and WITH a light bar, for less money than a new pair. I wouldn't say he got screwed. :screwy:

14. 78Suburban

Can somebody get me closeups of how their kc's are mounted? Maybe these are old school, I dunno. Each one seems to have 2 rubber disks, a washer, nut, and little bell shaped piece of metal. I'm not sure what order this all goes in to properly secure them to the light bar.
    thanks,
    James

15. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Sorry, no pic. But from the light, working towards the end of the bolt, I'm pretty sure it goes like this:

bell
    rubber disc
    light bar
    rubber disc
    washer
    nut

hope that helps

16. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

yep what he said , i will see if i can get a pic of mine today if it dont start to rain on me. :D