Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think I still have air in the fuel system????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Jan 8, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had the 8 lines on the Injectors loose. Cranked it till fuel came out all of them. Then I cranked them down. It takes a bit a cranking to get it started. I know that is not right. I just don't know what I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

2. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Can't remember what you did but IIRC you have a new top everything. I remember that this is a CUCV, did it start ok before? How cold is it and how long is a "bit" of cranking. The DP troubleshooting guide says at 30F a 6.2 should start in 5 seconds with most starting in 1-3 seconds, warm should start almost instantly. This seems a little long, especially 5 seconds of cranking, mine starts instantly but since it rarely gets cold here, I haven't tried it when it is really cold. Start with the basics and eliminate everything you've already checked. You need heat and fuel. Heat is the glow system, compression, and cranking speed. Fuel is injection pump and injectors, fuel supply(tank,pump,filter), and lines. Does it run ok when it starts?

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

How many volts are you reading at the solenoid/relay when the glow plugs cycle?

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

OK.... Now that I am back I can find out what is up with the k5. Barraza, the top end is new. Now that I think about it was always kind of hard to start. It is in the 30s now and someone on here told me that you should crank for 30 seconds and let the starter cool down. I just started it before and it took 5 tries to get it up and going. I did not time it to see how long it was yet. the gp are new. Cranking speed is good. After it is warmed up it seams fine. Dieseldan I will get back to you on that. Thanks for the help guys. Mike