Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think i'm gonna cry..engine gurus help me!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Jul 13, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ok the 82 k5 has a new crate 350 H.O.
    and i have noticed recently after "gettin on it" when i park the k-5 there is a bunch of little round spots on my tailgate..(exhaust exits under rear bumper,)
    i'm thinking the spots are made by eaither oil, or perhaps anti freeze,

and i also noticed that when i am "gettin on it" the is a colorless "haze" behind me..

so then i thought..maybe its unbured gas?..but wouldn't the spots evaporate if it were gas?

it hasn't lost any power, still runs and sounds healthy. but i noticed it again today after going down the freeway, then when comming back up the freeway, which is up a decent hill..and i was "messing with a 350 power stroke) i saw the colorless haze, and when i got home the spots were all over the til gate.. :confused:

any ideas?

oh yeah..i spanked the powerstroke up the hill :D

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do the little spots have any odor? The couple of times that I've found those, it was gear oil from the rear diff.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

First check the coolant level.... if it's low keep the cap off and start it up. If coolant comes out the radiator you have a blown head gasket. If it doesn't come out you most likely don't have a blown head gasket but the best way to find out is to pay up the 20 bucks and change the oil.

When you start it up does it smoke?

Is there steam coming out of the tailpipe when it runs?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check all sources for leaks. Just a bit of oil/lube looks like a lot when it's splattered.

Check the transmission and t-case for leaks everywhere. Front diff. Etc.

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Check main seals. The oil has an odd way of making it clear back to the tail gate somehow. I bet your drive shaft is covered in oil.

6. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Steam or water droplets exiting the tailpipe are not indicative of a problem with the cooling system.......it is normal for condensation to form in the exhaust sytem and exit as steam or water droplets.

The best way to determine if ya have a problem with the cooling system is to pressure test it.

The colorless haze could be un-burned fuel......ignition upgrades may be in order especially if the engine is revving over at/over 4500 rpm where the factory HEI falls on its face.

7. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I noticed this with my 72 K5 when I towed a trailer and discovered the t-case was leaking out the speed-o cable.

Was noticeable when I towed because the trailer caused it to swirl on to the back of the truck and front of the trailer.

As mentioned, it wasn't much oil, but it made a noticeable mess.

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

that might explain the haze and gas smell..the haze is more apparent when i'm between 4-5k rpms.. motor redlines at 5600..and i know i probably shouldn't especially with the sm465..but i have learned..mainly when i get upset..that i can get on it and slam gears...takes a "full body shift"..meaning i use a lot of force..yes i know not good..and i have had the rpms up to 5000 to 5200 rpms..

but i have new accell plugs, new accell billet allum. hei distributor, and new acell 8.8mm plug wires..

as for the little spots i get..i guess it coold be from leaks..my t-case rear seal leaks (have replaced it 4 times)..but i can't imagine it being that. becasue i get the spots all the way up to the top of the top.

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The HEI distributor itself is a fine design....the factory module is weak and stops making sufficient spark power at 4500, the coil is lame as well for performance applications.
    I use a MSD Super HEI with the 6AL box, blaster coil and external coil adapter, it eliminates the troublesome module, factory coil and plugs directly into the p/u coil.
    they make a HP module that replaces the factory unit but for a few dollars more you can build a Super Hot ignition system.

10. chevyk5blazer666

chevyk5blazer666 Registered Member

that same thing was happing to me and it was the dam trany it was spraying on the exhaust pipe that runs in front of the t.case. you should just craw under neath and see if anything is leaking

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005