Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think my 8274 winch motor is going bad, how to fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jan 21, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I think my motor on my 8274 winch is dying, it's pretty old now so I guess I can't complain. It gets stuck under load and it has little power. Does anybody know if it can be rebuild or do I really need to pay $250 for a new winch motor from Warn. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Well, I was waiting for someone with a little more know-how to reply, but none have yet. If the winch has given you some good years and served you well, I would retire it. Its probably worn all to hell. I would just pony up the money for the new one. If you rebuild yours, it probably wont last as long anyhow, and you'll be back in the same boat. Im having the same issue with my little winch on my Polaris 4 wheeler. I use that thing alot, and its starting to get cranky. Wear and tear. Good luck.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Screw that! Take the motor off and run down to your local electric motor/altenator shop and have it rebuilt. One thing to remember about that $250 one from Warn, it should be one of those new 4.6 HP Bosh motors, so still not a bad deal. You do not need to replace the 8274, just the oil.

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If the winch has given you some good years and served you well, I would retire it. Im having the same issue with my little winch on my Polaris 4 wheeler. I use that thing alot, and its starting to get cranky.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like replacing your K5 because Kia Sportages wear out!!
    Wear and tear indeed.
    Every single part on the 8274 is serviceable and will work as well after rebuilding for significantly less money. Or you could get a disposable Ramsey.

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Now that a few with some "know-how" have replied, I guess I retract my previous advice. That being said, if you can get the bigger motor for $250, I'd check the cost or repairing yours. If the difference is fairly negligible, I'd get the bigger motor. Good luck.

6. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

There was a thread,a few months back with a link to POR.The link took you to a pretty indepth article on a complete rebuild of an 8274.Hope this helps. Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif 85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

You guys are an excellent source of information. I'm ready to rebuild my winch now, cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They are easy, i've rebuilt many for friends /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Screw that! Take the motor off and run down to your local electric motor/altenator shop and have it rebuilt. One thing to remember about that $250 one from Warn, it should be one of those new 4.6 HP Bosh motors, so still not a bad deal. You do not need to replace the 8274, just the oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if your Robzilla you put it in a box over night to the president of Warn with a very well written scathing letter and they send you back 6 new winches plus rebuild your old one for free. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

No he didn't get 6 winches....just his repaired or replaced 3 times and got a 20 year old rusty nast ramsey winch rebuilt as well LOL Ohhh yeah he got True Trac to cough up a Detroit to replace a EZ locker he blew twice. Rob writes magic letters. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I gotta read one of his letters. I feel like I could get a free trip to aruba with one. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif