Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think my frame is bent! How do I check?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, May 21, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Also how do i fix it? body shop? thanks

2. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

You can take it to a wheel alignment place.
    Do a 4 wheel alignment and that will show if the rear and front aren't in alignment.

Or a frame shop... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What makes you think it's bent?

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

start taking measurements... fore and aft... there is a body book that tells where the measurement holes are but you can just pick the same ones on both sides of the frame and measure in a x..... if the x isnt equal .. you have something out of whack... you can also measure frame to ground keeping in mind there are suspension anomolies that can muddy this check...
    the frame shop has a machine that checks this same square... but with more parameters and with a known variable.. i.e they calibrate their machine to be square...

now the previous post asking you why you think it might not be squre is also right on...
    is it not tracking straight?... (did someone following you tell you your truck is "crabbing" down the road... sure sign of a heavy previous t/c)
    or perhaps did you....
    drive it off a cliff... into a tree.. or all the other things ck5ers seem to do to their rigs from time to time
    hope this helps
    you want a shop that has a frame machine not just an alignment machine and someone that understands bent metal... not some mechanic that aligns toyotas
    cam

5. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

If someone told you that your truck is not running straight it is a good idea to check it out.
    Just remember that the rear axle in this year of vehicle is not as wide as the front. This will make the truck look as if it is "dog tracking" if viewed from the rear.
    An easy but not very accurate way is to measure from spring perch to spring perch in a X fashion.
    This is not the most technical or accurate but it will give you an idea if the frame has been pushed into a diamond shape. That is one side of the frame is farther back than the other.
    You can do this on the bottom of the axle using the U bolts. While you are down there take a look at the front shackles make sure they look nice and straight.(that is side to side not front to back)
    If you are checking the frame because your steering feels loose or washy then make sure the frame is not damaged at the steering box area. This type of truck is notorius for small unseen cracks in this area.

6. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

He thinks it not tracking right. That is what he said. Hard to tell in my yard not one smooth place. The under the truck is all banged up. oil pan is hit up, but I never noticed the rest of it to just now. Its kind of hard to miss to. Then all the body lines are messed up. Nothing is even. Thanks for the help Mike