Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think my tranny crapped!!! Help from the tranny gurus please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I have a 1991 with a 4L60 or 700R4 or whatever it is. It has been shifting hard from 2 to 3 since I bought the truck in July. I went out this morning and it won't shift out of 1st gear /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Is there anything I can do? or should I just bend over and get it rebuilt or get a GM certafied or what? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You might check the adjustment on your TV cable. It determins when and how hard the tranny shifts. Do a search and you should be able to find info on how to adjust it.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I went out and tried to adjust the TV cable, but the little button that you're supposed to push is either jammed in or stuck, besides the fact that it is facing into a bracket and you can't really get your fingers to it any way!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Well I pulled the cable end out of the bracket and messed with it for a while and never got it adjusted, but now it shifts...
    So can I just replace the TV cable? Is it a dealer-only kind of thing? and how much should I expect to pay for one?

4. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

Check the governor. It's under the round cover on the drivers side near the back of the case. Make sure the gear is in good shape, and that the valve inside the governor moves when you move the weights.

5. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I was having the same trouble with mine and a guy at a shop said it sounded like the throttle valve was sticking in the valve body. He said to, with the engine off, pump the accelerator pedal rapidly for 20 times and see if that made a difference. A lot of times if the valve is sticking the quick back and forth pumping will free it up. Just a thought.-Russell

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the ideas. I took the cable adjuster out of the bracket and worked the cable around and adjusted it. Now it seems to be working. I guess I will see how long it will last /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

If you still need help, let me know. I faught with mine for awhile and finally called a freind and he talked me through it. I haven't had problem since. I will give you the same things he gave me if you still need it.