Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i think my truck is a cop magnet.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Apr 17, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

got pulled over for the second time in two weeks today. i wasn't doing anything illegal either - just idling thru downtown - where i live (if you idle, you make all the lights). anyway, the cop comes around the corner and stays in the lane next to me, but i can tell he's making an effort to stay behind me. i figured he would pull me over b/c my temp license is slightly torn from my rear window going up and down. pretty soon he ends up behind me and stays there for a while, then the lights come on. so i pull over and the guy walks up to me like he's scared out of his mind, i thought that was odd. anyway, dude asks me if the truck is new to me and i said that i bought it a year ago and have only had it on the road for about two weeks. he says, "well, there sure is a lot of smoke coming out of it." so i told him that it's diesel and that i had just turned it on about 2 minutes ago and it would clear up and run perfectly clean after the engine heated up. (there wasn't even that much smoke - it looked like a gasser on a cold day). anyway, he takes my license, does his thing, comes back and tells me that he didn't know it was a diesel and he's not going to ticket me but i should think about a tune up or something b/c it's a $140 ticket if you have visible smoke which you can smell coming out of your exhaust. how dumb of a law is that? i'll just wait for a cold day and go up to a cop car and smell his visible exhaust and ask for $140. :) just kidding. wierd tho.

edit: the funniest thing was that as soon as i started it up after we were done speaking is that there was no smoke coming from my rig at all! i would have loved to have known what he was thinking seeing my truck with no visible emissions after he pulled me over for that very thing. he continued to follow me for a few more blocks. man, i wish i knew what he was thinking!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

sshhhhh! don't mention magnet, we don't want another locked thread.

3. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Of course, city transit buses and semi's can blow as much smoke as they please... aparently. Ever sat beside a city bus in traffic? *gag*

I see diesels here blowing horrific black smoke after getting a new power chip.

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats the dumbest law I have ever heard. My truck used to smoke like a freight train and no one ever said anything.
    Its ok though cause the cops are attracked to mine too. A few weeks ago a cop followed me for 10 miles and right before I turned off he pulled me over. Said my driving wasnt to good and asked if I had been drinking. we talked about my truck for a few minutes and he said have a good night. I was sweating too cause I didnt have my seatbelt on, there was a gun behind the seat, and about 20 bear cans in the bed. :eek1: I was scared.

5. colbystephens

i think people here in the city just don't like my rig. cops are always checking it out - i'm a good law abiding citizen, and don't do any stupid sh!t w/ my truck. it's a good looking k5 too - looks like a wheeler for sure, but it's not all rusted and beat to he!!. you should see the people check it out when i start it up cold - i even got applauded once! i'm going to try to advance the timing to get rid of some of the smoke tho.

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

People here like my truck but they are always askin stuff like "when are you gonna fix those dents" or "when are you gonna paint it?" they just dont understand when I tell them its more fun to beat on it.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine doesn't usually get a second look, and in 9 years I've been pulled over in it once. I got a verbal warning for driving on the sidewalk...thing was I was completely on the sidewalk for about 30 feet or so. Trying to cheat my way into the right turn lane. :blush:

Cop asked if i was late for work or something...which i was. Then he asked me how much later for work i was now. :crazy: Ended up telling me that just because my truck could do it didn't necessarily mean it was a good idea or legal, then sent me on my way.

Mostly I drive normal, with the flow of traffic and don't make em think I'm nervous about anything if they're behind me. Seems they can always tell if you're nervous about something...

Rene

8. colbystephens

that's funny, man. :haha:

9. tRustyK5

I run mine 1/32" past the line on the timing cover. Smokes for maybe 5-10 seconds when cold at 35 F. You should definitely be able to tune that smoke out with a fresh motor. Of course it's kind of hard to accurately guage that until your motor is properly broke in and the rings have seated. Your timing is about spot on if when the HPCA clicks off the idle drops 100-200 rpm and the diesel clatter noticably quiets. If it sounds like a 12V Cummins it's too advanced...:D

Rene

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

does your cop magnet stick to stainless?

11. colbystephens

i don't know if it sticks to stainless, but i know it sticks to my toolbox which is a helluva lot better than yours. i mic'd the wall thickness, and iirc, it's a full 4.532 inches thick!

rene - just to make sure, advancing it is putting to the driver's side of the line, right? what is HPCA?

sorry - didn't mean for the thread to get tech'y. whatever, my toolbox is the best, right timmay?

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

:rolleyes: fibber

13. colbystephens

whatever, you have a lifted mini.

14. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Oh no...not another magnet, stainless, sticker, roller, steel, toolbox thing again...ruh roh Reorge. My kidneys can't take it again...I laughed too hard the last time.

15. colbystephens

my kidneys are magnetic too - i use them to store my hi-lift and my winch.

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dont be jealous

17. colbystephens

hey man, all i know is that when mine is lifted it's full size, not a mini - my wife's happy, that's all that matters to me. :wink1:

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i have both so whats up now?

19. tRustyK5

Advanced is the pump line on the dirvers side of the timing cover line. HPCA is the "High Pressure Cold Advance". Think of it as a fast idle for when the motor is cold. Once the engine temp hits about ~120 f or so it'll click off, idle will slow and it'll run quieter. The temp inhibit switch is at the rear of the motor behind the intake.

Sorry for the tech guys...:crazy:

when dead cold if you turn the key to 'run' and ever so slightly depress the gas pedal you should hear an audible click. This is the HPCA doing it's thing. It slighlty advances the pump timing and bumps up the idle speed a bit.

BTW, i just got a new to me toolbox today. It even has some tools in it...:p:

Rene

20. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha::haha: