Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Think My Truck is Schizo

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blazerlady, Oct 2, 2002.

1. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

My truck is a 1987 Chevy Truck V10 p/u 4WD V8 305 5.0L
    on the front sides it says K5 Blazer
    on the inside it says Silverado
    when I submitted the VIN # to check to see if any bad reports on it (got it 2nd hand) the report came back saying it was a Tahoe
    What do you think I have or are they all the same including a Jimmy?
    Was 1987 a big transition year for the GM trucks? <font color="purple"> </font color>

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I am not sure when The tahoe started but it wasn't in 87.
    And I believe a Tahoe is a 4 door .
    If you have the Vin, post it and we can decode it for ya.
    Most likely the person that ya sent it to doesn't know much about K5's
    Jimmy's and Blazers are pretty much the same thing except for badgeing.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Let's see, it's pickup, according to your physical discription, it's got K5 on the fenders, that's ok, that just means someone put a front clip on from a blazer. The silverado on the dash is probably ok, havn't been in a "late model" (my K5's are 70's versions), but I believe the silverado part goes on the dash on the passenger side.
    '87 was the last year for 1/2, 3/4 ton p/u's. ('73 - '87). In '88 they came out with the new ifs truck. They continued to make the 1ton pu, K5 Blazer and suburban on the old body style until '91. In '92 a new Full Size blazer came out, on the new platform (rounder front, ifs front, all new interior..etc) In 1995 they re-badged that truck as the tahoe, and added a four door version.
    First off, what service did you use to check the vin? Some states DMV systems call the old body style K5 a tahoe, why, because they are idiots. (But that still wouldn't explain why yours is a pickup) And what does it say on your title? Does the VIN match there?
    Ways that a VIN from a tahoe would come out, someone put a cab from a two-door tahoe on and welded up the back for a pickup look. Or, there's some some stolen parts all over the thing (read, assembled vehicle), and to make it titleable, someone also put a old/stolen/wrecked VIN on it.
    Any pics?

BlazerMan

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like a front clip on a picup body. In 87 they started designating it as a "V". before that the truck would have been a "K" if it was a 4x4 and a "C" if it was 2wd.
    Silverado was a trim package bach then.
    Now what's weird int the Tahoe that comes up. Sblazers had a Tahoe package back then (like Silverado) but the Tohoe as a model didn't come to be till the 90's with the adiditon of the 4x4 smaller than a Burb but bigger than what was still the Big Blazer. Then the Big Blazer also became a 2dr Tahoe.
    Have you got a pictuure of this truck and the VIN? I agree....something is fishy.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Can you post a pic? That would help gobs.

6. 87Blazerlady

Hey, you guys are great for wanting to help me out here.
    VIN: 1GNEV18H9HF168033
    I found out alot from: http:www.angelfire.lycos.com/doc/general/angelfire_popunder.html
    also for decoding
    87 Blazer 1/2ton 4x4 conventional cab
    BUT it also says 8th digit that it has 2 barrel carb but in actuality it is TBI
    AND the formula for the 9th digit check # doesn't come out right
    I checked the VIN at "Consumer Guide Auto Check" for any bad reports and there were 13-so I figured that was for inspections. Do you think the same way here?
    I saw a picture of a 1987 GMC Jimmy and it looks very much like mine exept for the emblems and grille. Sorry no pics. will have to get one. Very nice looking truck I have here.
    Silverado on inside is on the dash on the passenger side.
    (trying to include everyones questions)
    Title: VIN matches Year:1987 Make:Chevrolet
    Body type:SW (what does that mean?)
    Also I learned alot about the RPO codes in the glove box:
    http://www.s10Blazers.com/rpo_codes.htm

yes, it included a Silverado package (YE9)
    AND B85 Bright Body side Molding (Fleetside only) what is Fleetside?
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifoh just saw that - it looks like that!!!lol
    has MD8 and MXO: THM 700R4 (MD8) &amp; TH 700 MXO
    which one is the transmission that I should have-can't have both can ya?
    There are 16 RPO #s that I haven't decoded--not bad.
    AND LASTLY:
    I was looking up any recalls for my truck's year and found ALLDATA
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/11/87113003.HTML
    big list of TSB #--do you know what TSB # are?
    recalls were for Fuel Sender Ring Weld and Fractures (I never know how much gas I have. Would this cause that?)
    By the way ALLDATA is where I got the description I used of Chevy Truck V10 P/U 4WD V8 305 5.0L
    Maybe my truck isn't a Pickup after all--I might be looking at the wrong thing.
    Thanks for any more help.

P.S. VECI sticker lesson on:
    http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/NCVECS/undrhd.labels/label1.html
    also for decoding

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First, The tahoe name started I think in 86 but it was a code name, they never officially used it as badging goes before the '90's. The Silverado is a Trim package, as opposed to Deluxe and the sort. I think that the Silverado was the highest trim level with fake wood grain inserts and power everything.
    The 2 barrel is correct, because the TBI is throtle body injection which is kind of an electronic carburetor, and they all came in 2 barrel configuration.
    It's a carb with electronic injectors spraying in it instead of the mechanical or vaccum actuated nozzles.
    I am not sure but I think that the body type SW is short wheel base.
    As for the tranny it's the 700R4 I don't know if they had more than one model, I know they upgraded it in 87 and fixed a few known issues in it so you should have the good one.
    Fleetside is for the bed, it means it's the straight bed on the outside not the flare side which is straight on the inside and has a fender over the rear tires, I like the flare side or I think GM calls them Step side.
    That's all I know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What I got from that is it is a 1987 4x4 1/2 ton Blazer, 305 engine, built in Flint , 168,033 one made.
    87 is the ist year of the TBI engines so that is what is ya have.

And most likely it has a 700r4 tranny.
    The SW prolly means station wagon,
    well gotta go to work.
    See ya and welcome to CK5

9. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Body type:SW (what does that mean?)

[/ QUOTE ]
    SW= station wagon (lowers insurance rates) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. 87Blazerlady

Thanks bunches for all of the history, and clearing up the TBI question, and the SW=station wagon-great to know that is keeping my insurance down.
    Thanks for directing me to the title. Found the owners manual and maintenance schedule which looks like it was never read by original owner---I can now treat truck like brand new since we put in a new engine (same one). Book provided another RPO # decoded for me and who knows how many others.
    I have automatic overdrive transmission 4-speed.
    When my Backyard mechanic changed the engine, he recieved with the kit a gasket for the THM700R4--so maybe the TH700 is an add on for the overdrive.---MXO (RPO code) states "merchandised, transmission auto provisions, O/D. What do you think?
    Manual says on front "Blazer and Suburban"
    I now know for sure it is a Blazer woohoo!!!!
    I can't thank you guys enough. this owners manual and maintenance guide is going in the glove box.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif