Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think the dealer is trying to screw me!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Ok well a few of you might remember the story i had with my motor blowing up because the dealer left the raditor cap off...well i ended up ordering a new crate motor from jim pace and installed it about 1000 cheeper than the dealer wanted in the first place...so i went in wednesday and asked for a part of what it cost me to replace it...i totaled it up and took 60% off what it cost so i asked for 40% so it came out to about 860.00 but they dident think that was fair...so they offered me my money back from when i had my heater core changed...(what caused it in the first place).. They dont think the block cracked from over heating the motor...they keep saying it a casting defect (what kind of crap is that) so my question is has anyone ever heard of GM having casting problems with the mid to late 80"s 350's?? that was the first i have heard of it and i think its a bunch of bull...so well anyway i told em to stick it up there A$$ and i would see them in court...(this just hasent been my month, between 4x4ing over a honda, my motor blowing up, and routing one of my drivers under a bridge that was too low and causing about 30,000 in damage to the machine (i am a dispacher at a heavy haul trucking company)..

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

It was the owner and General Manager that offered to give me my money back from the heater core ($253)
    The block defect i am goin to have to research it more just to make sure it is bull $hit like am thinkin it is..all i have to do it call GM and they could prob. varify weather or not its true.....well i better get back to work befor i get busted...see ya

Chaz<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chaz88K5 on 12/29/00 08:01 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Man, that just plain sucks!!! I've never heard of any problems with the block you mentioned. Good luck!!

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1328774&a=9975627&p=33244094[/image]

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've never heard of a casting problem either. Deffinitely take them to court and get your money. Your going to need to do more research then on this website though, when the judge asks how you know it aint a casting problem you need some hard evidence.
    I'm sure you know this but run by a couple well known mechanics and get a wriiten statement from them saying an empty radiator is the likely culprit for your engine blowing.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Chaz,

Feel your pain ... just picked up my truck after the ninth attempt to have my tranny fixed. Guy now is blaming me for wanting a stall converter and corvette servo. No way connected to my lock-up problem.

Anyway... went on a 2 week Active Duty for the Navy. When I returned I checked everything out, she started right up and started for home. Once I reached operating temp, she started to miss. Tried to track down that miss for 2 months. finally took it to the dealer ... pin hole in one of the cylinder walls ... CASTING DEFECT! Less than 20,000 miles. I think this is very rare ... mine never got hot. Your's obviously did and you have grounds for recovering some money. I've seen the dealer do the same thing ... not putting coolant back in the motor. They warranteed the engine for life! You are getting screwed! Contact the dealer(owner) or general manager. Take in your paperwork, look prepared, mature, professional, and stay cool. Explain in detail and DON"T LOSE YOUR COOL! These guys don't stay in business by screwing people over. If that doesn't work contact the Chevy Zone Representatve. Set up a meeting and do the same thing. A pain in the ass, but easier than going to court.

Goiod Luck.

5. K5-Kowboy

K5-Kowboy Registered Member

I had similar problems with a new GM crate a few months ago. I put a brand new engine in mine while on leave between duty stations and it ran fan for a couple of weeks. I proceeded to drive from New Mexico to VA and got as far as east of Knoxville, TN. I was about 15 miles outside of town, during rushhour on I-40, and suddenly a loud bang, big puff of black smoke and a dead 78 K5. I was given a ride to a little town called Pigeon Ford (it's where Dollywood is) and the dealer there replaced the engine with absolutely ZERO hastles and I was on the road again within 2 days. The dealership told me it was more than likely a casting defect. I was not running hot and my oil pressure was still good so they figured it was pinholes as well.

[​IMG]<font color=blue> K-5 Kowboy </font color=blue>[​IMG]

Go Through It or Go Over It....Going around is NOT an option.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

GM has a 1 800 number for customer complaints. Call it. They will make it filter down from the top and believe me the Dealers don't like hearing from GM that way. I got the run around called that number and a hour later the dealer called me asking me to please bring in the trucks so they could repair it.
    YOU ABSOULUTLY have grounds for a lawsuit regardless of if the problem was casting or cap. If it was the cap it is plain their fault and if it was the casting it's a known defect that they are aware of and should take care of it. You should not have to pay one red cent for the reapir either way.
    They know they will lose in court and it's far cheaper for them to pay for the repair then pay a lawyer to try to fight it. Just need to keep the pressure on them about it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Its a different subject, but a man in my home town had the city want to enlage the ditch in front of his house. In doing it they tore up his yard and just left it. He tried the channels and got no where, so he took out a full page ad in our local paper to the mayor expressing his disappointment in being lied to and amazingly enough the day after the article 10 guys from the city showed up and his yard has never looked better. Just a thought, but advetisement like that hurts and I guarentee you it will get attention.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree with Grim..... Call the 800 number and see if you get anywhere. If not, have your lawyer call them!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    That really sucks about your problems. Dont get too harrd on the dealer about the price difference on the engine. Pace buys them in quantity so they can sell them cheaper. A buddy of mine worked in parts at a dealership. Even with his discount they could not touch Paces prices. Hope you geteverything works out.

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 87 had a crack in the lifter valley, and I was told by mechanic at chevy dealer that there was a problem with 87-88 blocks cracking.