Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think the T-Case is cracked... what to do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Feb 22, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

I had a pretty good leak coming from the T-Case in the front driveline output shaft area. I replaced the seal for the output shaft, but after putting it back together and replacing the fluid, the leak came back. I looked a little closer, and the case looks cracked in an area, and it looks like thats where its leaking from.

Now could I.... seal up the crack with some sort of sealant (e.g. JB Weld, epoxy of some sort). Weld the crack shut with my MIG and an argon mix, or is this something where Im going to want to just replace the entire case?

Lets say that I do replace the case (Id hate to spend the $). My '89 has a np241. Can I bolt in a 208 as well?

Thanks for the help.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i believe the 208 with fit, but i think that MIG welding it would work, because MIG doesn't damage surrounding metal much. however, depending on the locaton of the crack, some bearings and stationary "axles" (bars that run through center of gears. . .forgot word) could be slightly out of place. i say weld it up and see what happens.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would say take the t-case out, strip everything out of it, drill a hole at the end of the crack, pre-heat it, TIG weld it, post-heat it, and put it back together.

If you don't want to do that drill a hole in the end of the crack, clean it up real good and JB Weld it.

Then put a skid plate under it so you don't do it again.

If none of these solutions work don't put a 208 in there. They are weaker than a 241. If you want to go stronger put a 205 in it.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I agree that welding the crack up is the best solution, but if you don't want to get that involved with it (again) ducttape114 has a spare 208 that is in good condition that he would get rid of fairly cheap. It is located in Santa Ynez and is direct swap if you have a mechanical speedo, if not, pep boys has an adapter to go from mechanical to VSS.