Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I think the tranny is slipping.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Jun 5, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 burb with a 700R4. When I get on the throttle to pass or jump out in front of traffic it shifts firm to 2nd. Going to 3rd seems like it hesitates and drops power for a second. Is that a normal thing? Could the Jet chip be changing the shift point at full throttle enough for me to think it is slipping?
    So when this one goes I probably won't have the savings built back up enough yet. I have one in the garage for my scout from a 90 Blazer. Since the 88 speedo is cable actuated can I 241 out for the 208 without any extra costs for brackets and such? Also what is the name of that tranny place online everyone here seems to love? Bowtie something I think.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

here's the website: bowtie /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rick

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do the RPM's increase at all between 2nd and 3rd? If you have a firm shift from 1st to 2nd than it is probably fine.
    Autos are like manuals for the most part, when they are in gear, they are in gear. Unless the clutches are letting go.

4. scoutillac

I do have a firm shift from 1st to 2nd. It just seems like the wheels are spinning and not going any where. I can't break the tires loose during a power brake so I know I'm not breakin loose at 35. Maybe I'm just worrying too much. I seem to hear everything even with the stereo blaring.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well when my th400 went, 1-2 seemed harder than normal (go figure) then toolin along in 3rd rpm seemed higher(no tach) and if i just barely increased throttle (like for a hill or something) it just didnt seem to gain any power or speed, just revved up, also noticed it using alot more gas. Pulled dipstick and fluid was burned pretty bad. Check your fluid condition, if it is the clutches, your fluid should be burned or starting to get burned.

6. rjfguitar

I suspect your TV cable isn't adjusted right and it is shifting too soon or not down shifting at the right time, that or your lock up is acting funny. Next time it feels like it's slipping pull the shifter down into the next lowest gear, it will probably start to eccelerate much faster. The torque converter likes to keep the motor revved up with a th700. You mentioned 35mph and if it's in 3rd gear than the torque converter is probably slipping a fair amount to keep the RPM's up. I bet it's just in too hi of a gear and the torque converter slippage is whaqt you are hearing. With a big heavy burb and a stock 350 it is going to feel gutless in 3rd gear at slow speeds and feel like it's slipping. Reminds me of my old 350 days, could be cruising in 3rd through a residential area at slower speeds, put my foot in it a fair amount and hardly accelerate, use to throw it back down in 2nd to reduce the load on the motor and it took right off.

7. scoutillac

If I pull down into the next gear the R's shoot up and she gets going. So would a new torque converter help? A higher stall maybe? I don't know. I never noticed it acting like this with the old motor. If I remember right the TV cable is easy to adjust. That might do the trick I guess. Since I had to disconnect it when I pulled the old motor it is most likely out of adjustment.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    If I pull down into the next gear the R's shoot up and she gets going.

[/ QUOTE ] Well than that is exactly what it is. slow speeds and hi gear is just too much of a load for the motor. I'm sorry to say but you are a victim of the syndrome "not enough horsepower and torque and too much weight or hi gears" lots of people are susceptable to it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    So would a new torque converter help?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope, it sounds like it is working just fine. It's not the converter, refer above. I had a BAD case of the above mentioned and I built a 406 to cure it along with getting rid of my old hi geared 10B's.

9. scoutillac

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sorry to say but you are a victim of the syndrome "not enough horsepower and torque and too much weight or hi gears"

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif A 454 swap would have been too much $$$
    I guess I need to swap out the 14 bolt in my P/U trailer for the 10 bolt under my burb. Sell the 4.56's in the 10 bolts and get 4.88's. Then maybe a set of weld scorpions and some new tread. Damn I only get 10 mpg with 4.56's. 4.88's have gotta be worse.

10. rjfguitar

What are you running for rubber currently?

11. scoutillac

35-12.50-15 BFG A/T 4.56 gears.