Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I thought '85 was the first year for color matched h/t's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grizz84, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

I was under the assumption since i have read this info from more than one place that 1985 was the first year for a color matched hard top, and '84 and prior came factory white. Well i decided to take off and preserve my parts ID label since it's in such good shape and i just happened to notice RPO Z59, which is a Black Hardtop.

My truck being an '84 model, i thought it had came with a white hardtop and someone had just painted it black to match seeing how the inside of the h/t is white and so is the headliner and pillar covers. RPO numbers say otherwise though. I made sure the VIN's matched just to make sure that the inner fender wasn't replaced with one from a boneyard. Kinda mind boggling.

I also happen to notice an odd RPO code i've never heard of before, a YH4...which is described as "Sequoia Special". I can't find any information on this at all, and im really clueless as to what that option would include.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Sequoia special is a camper package IIRC. You very well may have a different fender, the only camper special packages ive seen were on trucks. Maybe it is factory though.

3. Grizz84

I checked the VIN's against the service parts list and the truck VIN plate, its the matching part's ID list for the truck. So i don't know why it would be on there....unless every blazer came with this RPO.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

It seems like I remember them being black or white prior to 85, and after that they were often color matched. I could be wrong, just going from a cloudy memory. My buddys balck 79 had a black top, and my dads red & white had a white top, and my other buddys 77 had a white top on a brown. I think they just went with a color that they felt complimented the body color, and then later offered the same color on the tops. 85 does sound right though, I remember seeing a "test" of the 85 Jimmys, in an issue of Pertersons in 85, and I think that was the first time I saw a red top on a red body.

5. Grizz84

Maybe it was '85 in which the color matched top became a standard option. Seeing how my truck was pretty much fully loaded....it looks to be more of a reasonable explanation. I seriously doubt my truck is some one of a kind deal.

I wouldn't mind painting my truck back the factory two-tone, i always thought the Black and silver blazer's were really nice looking. The solid black mine is now isn't too shabby either.