Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I thought all later GM NP205s had circle adaptors, not figure 8s.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

For the longest time, I was of the belief that all later model NP205s had circle adaptors to the transmissions and that the figure 8s were the older models. Well, I was surprised when my truck, a 1990 V3500 had a figure 8 mount. I figured that someone had swapped it in. (which was weird because the odometer, which matched the carfax report was only showing 60K miles) Well, I was perusing through my factory 1990 V3500 service manual and found this picture. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Transfer Case Mount.jpg

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, that makes sense! The SM465 depends on having that lower part of the race track to keep the transmission fluid in...

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I can't see your pic, so here's an 85-91 style 465/np205 adapter just for reference. ;)

[​IMG]

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My initial thought is GM got lazy and didn't update the photos, or at least used some old images with newer ones spliced in. I've seen obvious pre-1972 truck (body) images used in 1973+ manuals.

First off, the upper picture shows a TH350. Those weren't around then. It also shows a coupler in the second picture, which means it has a 10 spline setup. 10 splines weren't around (officially) after 1985. Yes, I know parts get used up sometimes, but this is an '90?

The TH350 never had 6 holes in the tailhousing, (picture can be construed as showing 4 bolt holes) yet it shows a 6 bolt hole adapter which would have been 700, 400, or 4L80E, which either had no modulator (shown) or had it in a different location.

The drivelines, crossmembers, and shifters would be different on two different one tons because of adapter length (tall vs. short, 3" difference for the 465-205 adapters) which is not something GM would have done. That saves them no money. At that point in the production run, any overages would have been used up, if they could even do that.

Where is the shifter bolt boss on the adapter in the upper picture? Looks to me like an NP208/241 adapter...whats it show for 1/2 ton adapters? Same picture?

Lastly, the picture of the 205 case is generic. Where is the 4wd indicator light switch?

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Well, I just went out and looked again. I guess the transfer case does have a round mount, just like your pic. Here's a pic of mine. The crossmember is in the way to get a good pic, but it looks like GM did get lazy with the pic in their manual. Thanks guys.

DSC02297.JPG