Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I thought these were hard to find

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Dec 3, 2006.

1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Score again. They are very hard to find but i got lucky again. This time i got the whole braking system from a 77 seville for $32.
    I''m still having braking issues with my 4 wheel disc brakes so i grabbed everything this time.
    Seemed logical to me to get it all since i'm pretty convinced my old proportioning valve is not working correctly with my new brakes.

Anyway this is now the 4th set i've found in the last 2 months.
    BTW i have a set all cleand up and rebuilt for evilbay.

Ignore the cigarette pack and butts on the floor. This is for special effects. I would have cropped the pic had i noticed it ealier. How tacky.

[​IMG]

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are the Seville ones like the Eldo's?

3. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

bolt right up. From what i know you can use 76-78 seville, tornado, eldorado, i think there's 1 more caddy that used them, but it escapes me currently. I have 1 set from a 79 seville and they look like a 3/4 scale version of the older ones. They will work but you need 1" wide rotors, and the bolt holes are 1/4" narrower. They would not work for our axles.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sorry to burst your bubble but the only rear disc calipers that will work are the 76-78 caddy eldo calipers. The others are the same bolt spacing but the distance between the pads is wrong and won't fit over the truck rotor.

5. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

This picture is my new 14 bolt with the big 1.2" rotors and 1978 sevill calips. It went over the rotors just fine. chevy uses interchangable parts on alot of cars.
    Another thing is if you go to an auto parts store the listing for the era seville is the same part number as the eldorodo.

[​IMG]

oops i just notice this pic doesn't have the pads in it, but i had it all together with the pads in there as well.

6. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I just went out and shot a pic of the 78 seville caliper. Measures bout 1.44"
    The rotors we use are about 1.3"

[​IMG]

you do have my wheels turning though, cause i haven't actually had then bolted up and working.

7. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

Can you run that setup with 15x10 wheels cause i had to grind my frontend down to make them fit

8. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, well now 4x4high has me wondering, I'm sure the castings are the same as eldorado, but i'm wondering if the internals (ie piston length) are the same.
    Looks like its time for some more research. I could be wrong on this whole deal.
    The will definately fit over the rotors but .14" isn't much clearance, and how worn down are the pads i just checked?

I'm running a 16.5 wheel so i cant really answer your question.

9. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

On the left is a caliper from a 1978 seville, on the right is my stock front caliper from my 72 blazer. I'm still not sure about the internals but the width of the castings are identical.
    [​IMG]

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Scott (4X4HIGH) is seldom wrong when he posts up information here....

Might be worth investigating more to confirm what exactly is different/incompatible.

Sorry about your CornFlakes, I know they don't taste as good with urine in them.... :crazy:

11. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I agree.

12. 4X4HIGH

The castings are the same, the piston however in the seville caliper is different, it is a thicker piston and won't allow it to fit over the rotor with new pads. There is a chance that it will fit with worn out pads but definately not with new pads. I have a set in the garage that i tried myself and they don't work. I did however use the seville and fleetwood brackets, levers, and springs on my eldo calipers. Both the seville and fleetwood use an e-brake cable that one side comes in from the front and the opposite side comes in from the back so that is why i had to use one bracket setup from each car.

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Makovai, did you rebuild the left caliper in the picture comparing the two?

If so, where did you find the parts (the seal looks new)

14. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Napa auto parts #937 called a caliper kit. $9 each

15. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Thanks...One of mine leaks a little brake fluid past the parking brake lever...I'll have to take it a part.

16. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I have a very demanding job where i do 5 mins of work and take a 20 min internet surf break. anyway, this is what i've learn so far. I love Napa's website. I dont care for the store a ton but there website is nice.

comparison 1977 Eldorado to the 1977 Seville

The reman parts of semi loaded calipers are different numbers.
    Interesting thing is the Sevilles have a higher core charge than the Eldy $66 to $83
    The castings are the same numbers.

The piston is available for the Eldy but not the seville at $96 (which is a joke) but it also gives me full dimensions so i can compare the sizes when i get home.

The caliper boot seal kit is the same part number for both cars.

All in all it appears they are the same except the piston length, which is what 4x4HIGH said.

working in a machine shop i may consider turning my own pistons, but then again im pretty lazy.

more info to come..........if anybody besides me cares :rolleyes:

17. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Please share what you find out. Its interesting and may lead to a new source of parts.

18. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

As far as i can tell they are identical except the piston length.
    However, the piston cost more than the brakes do, so that really doesn't help much. Since i now have 3 sets of these i may bring them here to work, and play with making new pistons or facing the old ones down.
    I noticed they are chrome, but it doesn't appear to be hard chrome like you find on a bearing surface. It appears to be cosmetic chrome, which i find odd.
    Anyway i'll get a piston here at work and check the hardness as well as some other things.

obviously the sevilles are ez'er to find than the eldy's so i really want to figure out an inexpensive way to make the seville work.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you can make them work, they are certainly easier to get your hands on.

20. 4X4HIGH

Because of the design of the piston due to the e-brake i highly doubt you'll be able to modify the pistons to work and it would be more time and trouble to try and make new pistons than to just buy the correct calipers. I checked into all of this about 5 years ago.