Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I use electric fans...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kennedy, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

Let me preface this by saying that I did the following mods when I worked at AutoZone, so the 20% discount really got me buying things from them....

I have an 89 with 230,000 miles on it- relax:) I am the third owner.
    I needed a new radiator, so for $169.00 I bought the radiator used in 1986 K30 with the 454 from Autozone. I needed to buy the upper radiator support from GM, $12.00.
    So now with my stock 350- the only mod being a single 3" exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler, and straight water for coolant, I ran for three weeks with no fan at all! Granted I just did street driving, but this was this summer when it was at least in the 80's everyday. I was careful to watch the temperature- but it seemed to do okay.

Since then I have added a 16" AutoZone electric fan with an automatic thermostat- and haven't had any problems. I plan to add an additional 14" fan so I can use the A/C without fear.
    As for my testing, I do mainly street driving... I have 33" Mud T/A' s, (3.42 gears) and I take it through the mud any chance I get. It always stays in the propper opperating temp. range no matter what I do with it.

Conclusion:
    I don't know that I notice any difference at all with the electric fan. Sorry, I wanted there to be a big difference, but I haven't found it yet. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I know it doesn't move as much air as the mechanical fan. It helps the truck warm up faster in the winter, and it makes for a cleaner engine comparment. And now I am not wasting horsepower turing the fan while driving down the highway. I'll know next winter when I put a plow on it- that will be the test!

David 1989K5

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i must be really bored, this is the oldest post on the board, ive always wanted to see the oldest post hehe.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Usually get bored and give up before i get to last-er-first post or whatever. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty bored too, so I just emailed Kennedy to let him know that he has some replies, hopefully he still has the same email address and will come back around.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

hehe, This is real sad, i cant sleep, i got a front clip to put on my blazer, but i dont feel like working in the cold, I dont want to go drink, cuz thatll ruin my day for working on the blazer tommorow, WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO..... any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

I'm glad you did e-mail me because I am thinking about going the electric fan route again on my '82 Blazer- thanks for refreshing my memory on what I did in the past.

David