Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i wanna build a prerunner

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Jan 10, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think they are cool, and living in vegas, i'm in the center of all the pre-runner action. i'm thinking about a (i know i know) '80-'96 ford f-150. fabtech makes a kit for them that provides 8" of lift and 15" of travel with a bolt on kit! i want the big glass fenders front and rear too. and the prerunner bumper etc...

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Screw Fagtech. Contact Camburg Engineering about building the front end for it. Go over to Race-Dezert and hit the Shop forum and start reading. Furthermore, start saving the $$$$$. Shocks are the kicker and you need to throw the $$$$ that way also, don't go cheap on that part. Being that your in Vegas, go over to Go Desert, it's the SNORE site and it has listings of shops in your area, so y'all will know where to go.

Next issue, so what if a F-150 can be built to fly across stuff we have to slow down for in our straight axle rigs, straight axle prerunners are cool in their own little way. No biggy, I almost bought a F-150 awhile back for $800. The body was trashed, but it had all the potential in the world.

Anything else you need to know?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No reson ya can't build a Chevy. I've seen a Chevy Pre-Runner. Think it was a 98 or 99 Extended cab S-10 body. Pretty badass if ya ask me !!!!!!!! Had the fat fenders and cool bumpers.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    No reson ya can't build a Chevy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep. It costs more $$$$$ to get an A-Arm suspension to work right in the dez than it does for the I-Beam Ford setup.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

He could save money though if he went Chevy because he has that now and possibly use some of the same parts. So it might work out cheaper in the long run depending on what he builds if he already has some of those items...

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It all depends on how fast he wants to go. Ain't gonna get the same speeds out of a straight axle that one can get with a built Ford and unfortunately, that's a fact of life we must deal with. If he wants to build the Chevy, yeah it will be cheaper, but I would also be leary of building a Sub because of the weight factor.

It all comes down to the first question one must ask, "What does he want to get out of it?"

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Why not do a toyota.
    Here is my friends yota. its cycling 23" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif in the front right now with the steering unhooked, but he thinks it the steering will be the limiting factor. The rear cycles 19" with leaf springs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif He will be racing this year if you want to come out and see it
    [​IMG]

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Why not do a toyota.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Cause Toyota sucks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Not really though, they can get it in the dez. There's a Class 1400 Toy down the road here.

Is he gonna be running MDR? Gonna be pitting for him? If I have the time, maybe I'll try to get away and we can hang. I need to get to a race soon, I've been jonesing since the last one I went to was Parker back in 2001. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

BTW, if you haven't done it yet, check out RDC classifieds. There was a whole bunch of old Chevy desert stuff, springs and bumpers and what not listed a couple of nights ago.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If it were me I would start out with a 4 cyl Ranger some where in the mid 80's. They must have made a billon of them and you can find the striped down 2wd 4 cyl models for a couple hundred bucks. Get the lift you want rebuild the engine with a good cam, header and carb and you should have a good start for a whole lot less than a f-150.

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

There's a place that makes bolt on kits for some pretty nifty Prerunner Explorers and Rangers........... I'll have to find it or something... There's an 84 Ranger by my place of employment that's been for sale for about 4 months now, it's down to $900 obo from $1500.. 4wd and all that coo shizzlenit

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

That F-150 that I was spying would of been a good build-up. The body was no loss, it was rusted pretty bad. Had a 9", and the forged beams which helps out a lot. The only thing I didn't like about it was the straight six under the hood and the stick shift. Probably for under $4-5 grand, it would of been a good runner.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That F-150 that I was spying would of been a good build-up. The body was no loss, it was rusted pretty bad. Had a 9", and the forged beams which helps out a lot. The only thing I didn't like about it was the straight six under the hood and the stick shift. Probably for under $4-5 grand, it would of been a good runner.

[/ QUOTE ] That does sound like a good platform for a Pre-Runner build up. Dump that 6 and stick for a Chevy V-8 with a TH350 and there ya go.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nope, it would of been a 351 with C-6 behind it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thought you'd want something reliable, and fast. Thats why a Chevy motor !!!!!

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My understanding of the Pre-Runner is all about going fast. So it's like building a hot rod motor I would think. Dollor for dollor, I can build alot more HP with a Small Block Chevy then Furd. I'm talking aftermarket parts. More avalible at lower prices for the bowtie then a blue ovel. So thats why the Chevy motor.

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

BR, I might actually be co driving with him. I might also be a chase truck since im gettin ready to get my deaver's soon.

19. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yeah i have an 82 f-150 that will be getting the prerunner treatment, i have a c-6 in the shop and im going to try to get a 351w for it. My luv is a demi prerunner it goes fast over the bumps and has about 9" of travel in it and its my daily driver.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

BR, I might actually be co driving with him. I might also be a chase truck since im gettin ready to get my deaver's soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm taking up a second job over the summer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif that's gonna involve a lot of traveling and dirt so I don't know if I'll make it down south, but I'll try.