Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I wanna buy a hand gun.....what kind?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, May 17, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... I'll be moving someday if I ever get done cleaning and repainting the place... but anyhow I will be alone most of the time. It's a nice area but I want a hand gun. I have a rifle but it's a bit hard to keep that in the night stand. I don't have much experience with hand guns. My mom used to have a .38 I fired a few times but when we got broke into they took it... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. I want something that won't rip my arm back 4 feet when I fire it but I want something that will stop someone if they are coming in my house in some drug haze. I looked at some Glocks but I dunno much about them.... I have about $500 I can spend from insurance on a new gun. What do you all use or recommend I look at. I intend to fire anything first at a range before I buy it so finding a feel will not be an issue since I will be doing that. Anyhow thanks...

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I would say ether a 9mm or a .45 would be what your looking for.

3. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

I have a Sig Sauer 9mm. I love it. I think it would great for what you want. I did the same thing that you're talking about -- i fired it before i bought it. It came down to the 9mm and also a Glock .40. I really liked the glock too. If you really want to stop someone in a drug haze, then I would go with the Glock .40. You can't go wrong with either a glock or a sig, and there's plenty of other worthy guns out there too. The best thing is to just shoot several different makes in several different calibers, and then get the one you are most comfortable. The 9mm is an excellent choice, but today, the .40 seems to be the weapon of choice in popular society. *I think* police departments now carry .40's, but the military still issues 9mm.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Go with a Glock. They ar great guns. If you can handle a .40 go for it, if no tthen get a 9mm.

Dan

5. ChevyCaGal

I'll try to fire a .40..... the .38 my mom had wasn't too much to handle so this might not be too much more of a kick....

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My uncle is a police officer. He told me one time that a good gun for home protection is a .45. He told me that he's seen several instances where someone was coming at the 'victim' with a knife and the person shot them with a 9mm. The bullet went through the guy, went thru a wall, and he's seen once where it killed a person in the next room or injured them and he said once the guy that was shot fell on top of the 'victim' and stabbed them just from falling. He said that a .45 is much more likely to hit the person and push them back and not so likely to go thru walls and things.
    My dad had a little daranger (it got stolen). It was about the size of your hand and fired .45 cal bullets, but it only had 2 shots.

7. ChevyCaGal

If you hit someone with 2 shots that are .45 that's all you need.... even if they are high on something they'll know it...

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

nothing is better than a .45 for home defense. people who say rounds like .40 or 9mm have to rember that you will be shotting this in your house. those rounds carry so much muzzle velocity that even if you do hit the intruder you still run the risk overpenetrating and going through a wall into a loved ones room. with the .45 you have a very big slow moving bullet. big is good because it will cause damage even you fail to hit a vital organ. its slow which is good because you can pick up rounds that will not go through anything past drywall. these are very important factors to consider when buying something to use inside a house. your nieghbors will like the fact that you can shoot inside your house and not threaten theres. one last thing there is no such thing as being able to handel a weapon. my 5'4" 115 lb wife fires my .45s with no problem. you just have to pick your ammo correctlly. if you buy a +p round its going to bad if you get a slow round you will be fine. if you decide to go with a .45 i would suggest para ordinance, springfield and kimber to look at. me and my wife have full size kimbers and they are great. mine has over 10,000 rounds through it and its as tight as the day i bought it. hope this helps

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, question time. How often do you plan to practice with the firearm? If you plan on shooting it before you by it then shoot it a couple times after you buy it then I would say go with a good .38 or .357 mag revolver. (.357 mag revolvers will also shoot .38 spl.) If you plan on practicing with it a fair amount, then a semi-auto might not be bad.

If you don't plan on shooting it that much then a revolver or maybe a Glock would be best because they are point and pull gun. There is no real safety, you just point the gun and pull the trigger. This is best for little amounts of practice because in a high stress situation you don't have to worry about a safety.

If you practice a fair amount then get what you feel comfortable with. Wiether it has a safety or not. If you practice using it and switching a safety on and off then it will become second nature and any gun should be ok for you.

As for caliber:
    Revlover:
    If you are a petite you might try a .32 H&R Magnum or a .38 Spl. If you are of average size you might be better off with a .357 Magnum because you can shoot .38 Spl. out of it, or full power .357's out of the same gun. This way if you go the wilderness where there is moutain lion or bear you can use .357 magnums in the gun and have something to stop those animals should need be. Also .357 mag guns are usually a little heavier then .38spl only guns so that helps reduce recoil, and improve recovery time for second and third shots.

Semi-auto:
    I would try a couple different calibers at the range before purchase if I were you. I would try 9mm, 40 cal., and even 45 ACP. I have found Glock .40 cals to be a tad crisp to shoot basically because of there lack of weight. (I am a very large guy. 6'4" 280lbs.) I would try it and see how you like it though. I would try and shoot a Glock 19 (9mm Compact) and a Glock 23 (40 cal Compact)

I carry a 9mm for my work sidearm.(work at a gunstore) I have the option to carry .45 ACP's but I haven't shot them enough to be comfortable shooting them in a high stress situation so I carry the 9mm which I have shot alot and become very comfortable with. I am confident with it and can place my shots where I want which is the most important thing about using a handgun.

If you go with a semi-auto I would look around in a gunshop with a good selection, and see what fits you best and what feels comfortable to you. Then try and shoot that gun and see how you like it.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Steph, I think that if you're looking for protection, a handgun isn't the way to go. If I recall correctly, statistically, only 20% of shots fired by police ever hit a moving target. If you want to protect yourself, get a 20 gauge pump shotgun, short barrel, and take some tactical shooting classes to learn how to use it indoors. I mention 20 gauge instead of 12 as 20 gauge has less kick. If you magna port it, it'll kick even less.

If you're set on a handgun, they do have some that will fire 410 shot rounds, they scatter so your aim doesn't have to be that great.

Even better, go to this website <a target="_blank" href=http://www.scars.com>www.scars.com</a> and sign up for their training, or get their videos and self train. In 9 of 10 cases, this training will be more effective than a firearm, and you won't have to go digging around your house to find a weapon. They teach disarm techniques, (including how to disarm someone with a shotgun to the back of your head) how to stop a car jacking, take out a guy who's on you during a rape, etc.

I would trade my firearms for what I've learned from them anyday.

11. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Skigirl EXCELLENT advise....I teach Taa Kwon Do and train in KravMaga and trust my skills much more than a firearm... not to mention Ill never go off on accident and kill my kiddo.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, For you're needs, I'd recomend something like a .32 It's small, won't rip your arm off with the recoil, and pleanty of power for home defence. You don't need a .45, or a 9mm. I don't see any reson for you to go out and get a big gun. A smaller one will do what you want it to do, and won't cost nowhere near as much. Go to a large gun store and talk to the people working there. hold a few and find out witch one fells the best to you. If they have a shooting range, pop off a few rounds and see what you like.

13. ChevyCaGal

I can shoot pretty well and have gone to the range enough to know how to do it. I really want something to sit in the night stand. Not to mention my house is small (1220sq.f- but the rooms are tiny) a pump action shot gun would be really hard to handle. I'm gonna check out different ammo types too like the one you suggested. I am gonna take a kick boxing class here this summer. I took a few boxing classes over the last few years at the local JC and now wanna move onto something where I learn to kick as well. I figure someday it might come in handy walking out to my car at night.... then I can kick boo-tay if I need too... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You work in a gun store ???? Kewl !!! What do you think of a 50 cal Desart Eagle. I got one of them a few months ago, and love it. I also have a Jennings 9mm.

15. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Don't know if I can add anything to what's been said, except that I carry a .40 cal KelTec with hollow point Corbon HydroShock's. These rounds will not go through the wall behind the perp and hurt an innocent. They will put a very large hole in someone hell bent on causing me or my family harm. As far as in the home - .357 mag. S&amp;W 686 in the bedroom (HP Corbon's), 12 ga Mossberg riot gun in the kitchen and a 9 mm S&amp;W 5903 in my den (same ammo as .40 and .357 - HP Corbon's). The shotgun has no. 6 bird shot as the first round (to get their attention), then four rounds of double 00 buck to settle the matter. (I won't tell you what's in the safe. PM me if you really want to know).

Best advice has been given - fire a bunch of different weapons and decide what's right for you. Always treat it as if it were loaded, even if you lnow for a fact that it's not. Practice a lot after you get it and become as familiar with it as possible. Know your weapon backwards. Take it apart and clean it after every outing. Then join the NRA. Better yet - join now!

Mike

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Steph,

I'm sorry but I have a problem with what you just typed --

I really want something to sit in the night stand

now if I remember correctly you have friends who have children,,who could/would/may end up in your bedroom, when your in another room, and in turn into your night stand. I am NOT a get rid of guns person,,we own quite a few of them..however I am a get rid of out in the open guns. My thoughts on this are very simple, it would take about 5 seconds, to pick up a hand gun, switch the safety, and pull the trigger- maybe shorter than that for an adult, but that's about it for a child. Why take that chance, get your self a dog, a big baseball bat, and some self defense classes. A gun is not always the means of the best self defense..

again- I own guns, both hand guns, and a semi-auto's..Ak's, Ar's, etc... however the guns that are in my house, are behind lock and key. And all of the ammo is behind a combination lock. We do have a Glock 9MM that is sitting next to its clip, which is loaded, but that too is behind lock/key. I wouldn't want someone else's kid to get ahold of the gun. Mine being only 4 &amp; 5, know what they can know about guns, and that they are Daddy's, only daddy touches them, they are not toys etc.....But you never know about anyone else's kid.

just my .02 for what it's worth.
    Brandy

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

My daddy put the fear of God in me. That's how I never laid hands on the loaded guns around the house.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Now Steph, let's get serious about this home defense stuff. Forget your Glocks (most definately), your Sam Colt, S&amp;W, Beretta and what have you. If you want something that will get the job done and done fast, this is the armament you are looking for <a target="_blank" href=http://members.tripod.com/~ravingpsycho/minigun.html>http://members.tripod.com/~ravingpsycho/minigun.html</a>

Seriously though, look into the H&amp;K USP Compact series. They are huge for a compact, but the full-size version is probably too big for you. I've shot a Compact, it shoots nice.

19. ChevyCaGal

Cool thanks Bubba....

As for kids getting to it they won't be touching it. I am not gonna keep it unlocked. The drawer locks and so does the bedroom door. Not to mention they have a gun in there house and are aware how they work. I'm not an irresponsible person and won't behave like one with a gun....

20. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Just my .02. The most important thing in picking a firearm is finding one that you feel comfortable with and becoming proficiant with it. Shot placement is more important than caliber. There is not such thing as a magical round, however hollw points do work better in soft tissue and have less chance of over penetration than ball ammo. A gun in the drawer is a false sense of security if your not familar with it and don't practice with it.
    If you were my sister, or girl friend i would recommend-
    a 20 gauge shot gun with a 18" barrel with a flash light attached to it, loaded with #6 shot. The apperence of a shot gun is menencing alone, hit percentage is higher in a high stress enviorment.
    If your heartfelt on getting a pistol in the $500 range.
    I would look at a .357 revolver, most brands are decent and reliable and you can practice with .38 special which is cheap.A good used S&amp;W should cost you around $250 which leaves you with enough for a thousand rounds of practice ammo and a good push button flash light (surefire).

If you want an automatic i would look at Rugers in either 9mm or .45. A new model P89 (9mm) can be had for around $350 if you look. The p90 (.45) usually run a little more. The ruger is an accurate reliable pistol and is a bargin for the price. 9mm is a softer shooting round than the .45 (of course) and training ammo can be had for around $120/1000. The .45 is around $200/1000.

I mention a flash light as an important item to have. This will help you identify your target, which if you actually have to use your weapon will be important if you have to then defend yourself in a court.

I've droned on to much.
    rugger
    sorry for any spelling errors i'm sleepy and full of coffee.