Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I wanna get high, but i dont know how......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I wanna lift my 79 1/2 ton 4x4, 4inches. I dont want a body lift, i do know that much. I have no idea where to even start.

Can you find a good used one? Is is better to use blocks or springs? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Explain this to me, like you would explain this to a 10 year old. lol. I dont even know where to start on this.

2. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

If you don't want to get two crazy with it just put 2.5" springs on the front and they will lift it probably 3-4" and then go with blocks in the rear to match. This is a cheap and easy way to do it.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I don't like blocks. Blocks equel axle warp. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm a big fan of the ORD Shackle Flip for the rear. Give them a call at (970) 945-7777 , ORD and they can hook you up with everything you'll need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Blocks equel axle warp.

[/ QUOTE ]

By that, I believe he means axle wrap which is the twisting of the axle turning the leaves into an S shape.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Blocks equel axle warp.

[/ QUOTE ]

By that, I believe he means axle wrap which is the twisting of the axle turning the leaves into an S shape.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap. Not fun.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Blocks equel axle warp.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, had that happen on my 89 cherokee... bad bad deal. On my 72 I went with a Tuff Country all spring lift and a 1" zero-rate in the rear. for a roughly 3" front 4" rear lift.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Axle wrap is identified by a bouncing motion as the truck loses traction. This is the leaves turning into an S and snapping back again quickly.

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Too easy to make a joke based on the title of the post ...

It sounds like you want a suspension lift - leaf springs with more arch. The best thing to do is a little bit of research and this is a good place to do it.

First question is why .. and what you want to do with your truck. Do you want to fit a specific tire size? Do you want better offroad capabilities? What kind of terrain? For mud you can go for a stiffer (read cheaper) lift spring .. for rocks or harder trails you might want to have a much flexier spring.

Springs up front and blocks in the rear is often the easiest route and you can get a pretty inexpensive lift that way.

Remember as you go higher you may need additional modifications - steering arms, longer shocks or extended brake lines; bigger tires might make the gearing feel sluggish - play with the search feature for a little while, there is a LOT of information already on this site, including members opinions as to which lift kit is the best for whatever application you want.

Installation is pretty straightforward, but if you run into any difficulties you can probably find the info here, or a member willing to help. In a short time you'll know more than you thought.

Nothing is worse than making a modification and then finding out you don't like it - driving someone's truck with a similar setup would help you make your decision. In the end you end up making your best guess, but you can try and make it an educated one.

My truck had stiff front springs and blocks when I bought it. The springs bothered me, but I didn't have problems with the blocks until I got into more difficult terrain - set your budget and decide what you need. You can always upgrade later.

If you can't find what you need, you can PM me or most other individuals here and you'll find friendly useful advice .. good luck!

[This has been an unpaid advertisemenft for CK5]

9. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

First things first... why do you want to get high? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Pothead /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Axle wrap is identified by a bouncing motion as the truck loses traction. This is the leaves turning into an S and snapping back again quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]Axle wrap happens when you HAVE traction. The axle is trying to turn the tires, but all the leverage pushing against it makes the axle pitch backwards until the springs stop it. THAT is how you get axle wrap. The blocks make that leverage going against the springs, multiply with every inch. 1" block (zero rate) is the limit IMO.

10. zooexhibit

zooexhibit Registered Member

Putting the lift kit on is not all that difficult, but since you have never done one before, plan for it to take twice as long as any articles you might have read. My first one took 2 days, instead of the 8 hours I had planned. That was partially because the shocks were supplied with the wrong bussings and by the time I realized it the store was already closed. A little tip I would give you is to spray down all the bolts you have to remove with "PB" Blaster. Spary them down a couple of times a day, a few days before you plan to do your lift. Also have at least (1) floor jack and (2) jack stands minimum. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

no that's wheel hop.

bad blocks and axle wrap = [​IMG]

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

(to above post) NO... that's what you get when you play "tug of war" with another truck /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif At least that's what it looks like to me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Cool! Clear lift blocks! Are they polycarbonate? That will be the Bling Bling of 2004 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

As for lift blocks, I have some 4" tapered blocks sitting in my garage. PM me if interested. Actually, I have been meaning to replace my front 4" springs with softer ones, so if you were not in a huge hurry, I could make you a deal on some used Rough Country's too.

As for getting high, that's another issue. Weren't you ever taught to "just say no"?

15. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    (to above post) NO... that's what you get when you play "tug of war" with another truck /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif At least that's what it looks like to me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the bad block caused the axle to be able to wrap up and since thety didn't fully cover the perch it wrapped up. I didn't chain to my axle so the torque caused it.

16. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Blocks equel axle warp.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, had that happen on my 89 cherokee... bad bad deal. On my 72 I went with a Tuff Country all spring lift and a 1" zero-rate in the rear. for a roughly 3" front 4" rear lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif OK, but how do I get Axle WARP as stated originally??? If it refers to 'Warp Speed' rather than 'Warped Parts', count me IN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

17. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You can wheel hop because of axle wrap .. when the springs get bent into the S-shape, they can unload themselves to bring them back to their static shape and cause the rear end to bounce up and down.

That's a good time to get out of the gas.

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

OK OK so my explanation wasn't perfect! lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

lol...I do Just say no. I'm a deputy where i live. Just tryin to keep ya'll entertained with the topics here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I appreciate the help alot fellers, PM's are on the way /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif