Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i wanna get some mud on the tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Nov 9, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Hey all,

got my CUCV a while ago, and ive got the itch to go get some mud on him. Problem is i live in northern virginia just south of D.C. and im totally clueless as to where to go. things are way to developed around here.

anyone here know of any areas close to northern virginia where you can legally go offroading. Im not looking for anything serious like crawlin or anything, but just some rough dirt tracks and maybe some mud holes.

also some suggestions as to what to take along, im already going to be looking at a few tow straps, and a come-along as the truck dosnt have a winch. but im not sure how strong the tow straps should be for this size truck.

a buddy of mine who drives a jeep told me about george washington park and beaverdam resivouir (sp), so ill be looking into those, but i thought id get other peoples opinions on here.

-erik

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Didn't take my truck there, but I took my 4 wheeler to Patuxant Pond State park, can't think of where it is, but it's in Maryland, near Bowie maybe?? Not too much mud, lot of sand, but least it's wheeling. There are some guys on this board from there, so maybe they will chime in...

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i live in richmond...trail riding like you are talking about is preety much not legal around here...but we have some trails we ride late at night;)

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have the time a trip up to Paragon or Rausch creek is worth it. The pine barrens in jersey are fun if you have never been there. I have been there too much and am tired off it.

If 10 minutes of fun is all you are looking for, then smooth talk the local builder. a case of beer goes along way. the cool ones will let you thrash a job site between tree clearing and foundation digging. what do they care, they are going to dig a huge hole and landscape it months later anyway.

It works. I have done this. 30 minutes in the mud is better then a week of drinking and lashing out at my co-workers.:D

5. SHAPER

SHAPER Registered Member

GW National Forest is a great palce. Not too far from DC (about 2 hours) Thats where we go most often. Alot of our guys run 33's with no problems. The trails arent too technical, and include a good mix of rock, hill climbs, and mud. I think it might be just what you are looking for. We normally put in on hwy 33 that runs through Harrisonburg.

If you want you can shoot me an email to charlle2@aol.com if you want to hook up with us one weekend when we roll down there.

6. SHAPER

SHAPER Registered Member

GW National Forest is a great palce. Not too far from DC (about 2 hours) Thats where we go most often.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yuppers... but it is mostly water.. some true mudholes.. but alot of sandy waterholes too....

i think this was concord ave on my gps... :haha:
    id like to see a ricer go through there...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

crank up some brad paisley and floor it!

9. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

where abouts in jersey are the pine barrens?

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Hey, man, where in NoVA do you live?? I'm from there, coming back this weekend. I've got some buddies up there still....

Oh, and btw, there's NOTHING in the area - you have to drive elsewhere.

11. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

thanks everyobody for the advice.

rausch creek definatly looks good, but ill have to wait for my brother to get the bronco up and running cuz you need to go in pairs. and you need a full size spare... which i dont have yet. i have to reinstall the military spare tire mount in the bed.

im still lookin into the pine barrens, but i couldnt find anything about fourwheelin there, like what the rules are. samd for GW national park, i sent them an email and am waiting on a responce.

oh and shaper, thanks so much for the offer, ill probly take you up on that offer as soon as i get everything together over here (could be a while, theres a whole lot goin on right now)

big94gmc, i live a mile down the road from mount vernon estate just off the GW parkway on the route 1 side.

im still wondering what to takealong though. what strength tow straps do yall reccomend for a fullsize truck like this?