Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I wanna learn to weld!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Dec 7, 2002.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a good school or teacher in the San Francisco area where I can learn how to be a decent welder and do work on my truck without fear of it falling apart?

Thanks,

Eric M.

Probably the wrong forum for this post ... but I'll be welding on a 2nd gen. GM!

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I do not know about Cali, but here in the UT they have what is referred to as extended learning. It is for anyone that wants to attend. They offer a bunch of classes. You might to find out if they offer a welding class. Most of the classes are held at the high school. Worth a look into.

I was fortunate to take two semesters of welding in high school. So hopefully when I get around to getting a welder it will all come back to me.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I learned to weld with an arc welder on my own, and I did good, then I bought a MIG from HTP welders, and it came with a Video, and that gave me a lot of pointers, and I am not sure if it's the Mig or the instructions but my welds are great looking and I invited BILL tweetysaurus to learn, it took him about 2 minutes he was welding good welds.
    The Video is $10 I think and they reimburse you if you buy the welder.

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Check with Chabot College in Hayward. They offer a class that can get you certified, but their intro class would be more than enough to get you started. I keep telling myself to enroll but the class is on Saturdays from 8am-12 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I don't know if its safe to weld while recovering from hangovers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I just bought a Millermatic 130 MIG and pretty much taught myself, it came with a instruction video.

5. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just start playing around with it and youll learn. I started with stick then switched over to MIG. Man that is easy, its almost impossible to mess up with MIG.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If it's MIG you want to learn, just go to Amazon.com and buy "Welder's Handbook" by Finch (HP Books)

It will teach you the theory of operation and give you basic pointers for gun angle, and setting up the gas, etc.

MIG is easy enough that with a few basics like that, you can start on your own with a pile of old scrapmetal and start practicing. After you've spent a couple hours with it, you will know enough to start asking questions here....and then the welding gurus like tRusty can jump in with advice.... !

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, most Colleges and Universities offer welding classes. Or at least all the ones I've ever been to offer them. Usually it's just soem certified guy and you pay him $20-$50/class to learn. You can go to the local welding supply and ask there. Usually if there's a guy that offers classes in the area he has to get his supplies from somewhere.

The best way to learn to weld is by practice. I figure once you're good enough to have a pretty weld and make a box that will hold compressed air then that's good enough for me. I still suck at welding though in my opinion.

8. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I took several welding classes at the local community college and also used the book that Greg72 talked about, Welders Handbook. It has good info on what wire to use, what gas to use etc. There is alot to learn but Pratice is the name of the game.

9. A few people have highly recommended the college of San Mateo to me, they're suppose to be excellent. I've just never found a time they offered that fit into my schedule. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

MIG welding is easy, it doesn't take much practice. Just remember that even though a welding looks nice it doesn't mean that it is actually good, preparing what you are going to weld the right way is just as important as the welding itself. To get a strong weld paint, rust and oil should always be removed from the area you want to weld. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif