Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want 38" swampers on my 10 bolt?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by TopOff, Dec 16, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I want 38\" swampers on my 10 bolt?

Can an ARB'd 10 bolt front hold up to 38" tires if I baby it?

I ask, because I don't really know anyone running 38" who play on the rocks w/o a dana 60.

Tweetysaurus, how long have you been running the 38"s? How often do you hit the rocks?

I want 38" (really 37.1") tires. This means I will change to 4.10 gears ($500).

I would do the 1 ton, if I could ever find a deal like ChevyCAGirl did. But in the mean time - what does everyone think?

If not, I will probably get the gears (later) and some 36" TSLS (35.7") now.

My 35" BFGs are really 34.3"

Thanks in advance.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: I want 38\" swampers on my 10 bolt?

<font color="green"> I ran 38s on a D44 with a full-case limited slip, Warn shafts, spicer non-greasable joints and Warn Premium hubs. I broke lots of joints, a couple of Warn shafts, and 2 ring gears. Also broke stock shafts before going with the Warns. Don't waste your money on it, if you go with the 38s just deal with your current gears and put the saved money towards the D60 fund. And carry spare parts. </font color>

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ahhh --- poop!

I will need to get tires in the spring!

I would get that one ton setup on the For Sale forum if they weren't WELDED gears F&amp;R! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Looks like I get stay with 36" (35.7"). /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

the front has a open carrier with it and i might have a open carrier for the 14bolt at my house /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have a front D60 carrier that you can take the spiders out of to replace the welded ones in that setup. The carrier is kind of trashed anyways since one bearing surface sat in a puddle for a few days and got it all rusty. Welded 14 bolt ain't no thing either, just replace them with a Detroit if you don't like it welded. </font color>

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That's what I would want to do.. replace it with a detroit. But I thought you needed a 14 bolt open carrier to get a detroit in them?

7. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

The detroit replaces the carrier. your ringgear bolts to it.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The Detroit just replaces the spiders on the FF 14 bolt. The stock carrier is retained.

So, the guy with the welded 14 bolt for sale has his Gov-Loc welded?</font color>

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Alright, kewl. That's good to know for - whenever I go 1 ton.

I guess that will have to wait. I posted a reply, but in reality, I need a job. SOOOOOoooo....

It looks like I will get some 36" TSLs instead.

Thanks for the info... as I expected need to go 1 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Well, This is the second time I've run 38's on 1/2 ton equipment..................The first time lasted about a year in heavt muddin and hill climbing, This time don't know yet but Its been at least 6 months I think so far.
    Bill

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am going for 38 on my 1/2 tons, I already got spare alxes complete in case I start breaking things.
    I feel that if you have a lot of torques down low and you don't drive like a yahoo, you should be able to make it work at least like Bill for year or maybe 2.
    I had a locker in the front and the only thing I broke after 2 years with 35" tires is the original, rusty, worn out axle U joints, and the only thing that broke was the edges of the caps so they started to come out. I replaced them with new ones now and we'll see how they will hold up to 38's
    By the way my diesel lets me work slow, and the stock 3.08 gears are tough MFs.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't drive like a yahoo, and I didn't start getting much breakage until I had been running it like that for about 8 months. At that point I started doing some more serious trail work and the breakage started happening. I broke shafts basically idling up 5 fingers. TopOff is running ARBs on both ends, that's just going to make things worse. After I put L/S's in the axles is when I realy started breaking stuff, the open diffs were much easier on things. </font color>

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I know open diffs are easier on the axles.
    I ran 10 years with open front and LS rear with no breakage.
    I installed the lockers front and rear and in one year I started hearing noises after a few months I was checking the axles and I found the cups trying to escape.
    ALl that with 35" tires.
    The ARB's can be very friendly if you know hoe, when and how much to use them.
    I have a friend that runs 36" tires on the D30 in his jeep and he only uses the ARB rear when he can't move anymore, and then if he really gets stuck he engages the front, and as soon as he is moving he disengages them.
    Worked fine so far.
    I know a jeep is lighter, but the d30 is also much weaker.
    actually front d30 rear 35. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That is a good point, Iceman. I have talked about using ARBs like that before too, I don't know why I wasn't thinking about it that way. Still, the ARBs will be harder on them then an open diff when they are engaged. For the record, I never broke much in the rear axle when I was on 38s, mainly just the front. </font color>

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have been running my 35" for four or five years now. OF course this was with my th350. Now I am using the SM465, and have not taken this off-road except to Prairie City.

Sheesh, now I am getting scared to run my 35" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well I bought 38.5 tsl's a month ago and decided that before the truck see's the road it's getting 1 ton rear and 3/4 ton front I just got the 14 bolt ff rear with 4.56 gears and a posi plus an extra open carier from a guy who parts out trucks I plan on leaving it alone untill I get on the road and then I'll throw in a detroit in the new carrier but untill then I'm waiting till I get a front axel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dont wast your money on half ton and if ya do mabey you can buy my 12 bolt with 3.73 and all new seals and and bearings and one of those mega strong chrome covers and new paint! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Do you got a 14bolt to get rid of dude? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What? 14 bolts are plentyfull and cheap, I can get you one now with 4.10 gears for $250 delivered to your house.
    The D60 are the rare ones.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey Chris, if you want a 14 bolt all you need to do is go down to the pick-n-pull, they always have trucks with them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think a complete axle is less than $200.</font color>

20. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If my sad self can ever save enough money up to buy the lift stuff I want and I swap out my 10b you are more then welcome to have them for spares. They have poopy 3.08 gears, but everything else is fine and dandy....