Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want a 2" body lift and I have questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Nov 6, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I want a 2\" body lift and I have questions

First does the lift kit come with new mounts? Either rubber or poly?
    I want new mounts also since I will be in there anyways, and my
    present ones are pritty trashed. Second, who to buy from and how
    much $?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: I want a 2\" body lift and I have questions

No the kit only gets you blocks bolts and some have brakets for relocating or extensions for tranny shifters.
    You will have to buy the rest of the stuff.
    As to where to buy, I shop around for best prices and always end up buying from 4wheelparts

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I got a 2 inch lift and energy suspension bushings from summit. Was about 175 shipped to my door.

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

The Performance Accessories body lift kits are the best In My Humble Opinion. Also, IMHO, the energy suspension body mounts work very well. Be ready to break some of your existing, rusted bolts off during the removal process (You get new bolts with the PA kit) - make sure you soak all bolts with PB Blaster the night before - this helps a lot. Get some air tools too and the job will go faster. - Also, if your truck is leaning now and even after you do this replacement - check your front leaf spring shackles. I scratched my head for a while after I ended up with a leaning truck only to notice later that my shackle bushings were shot.

5. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

This may be a dumb question but I figured I'd ask anyways since I'm new to all of this. Say I bust off a bolt while taking it out, am I going to have to drill it out or what? I can't picture what the bolts go into, does anyone have any pictures to make it easier for me to understand? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You shouldn't have to drill out any busted bolts. If you do bust a bolt, you should just be able to beat it out with a BFH and a big punch. The bolts go from inside the vehicle through the floor and through the frame mounts. They are all accessable from underneath the vehilce.

7. Gary 86 K5

does anyone have any pics of this?? i can't picture it, sorry for being dumb guys /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have a couple pics in my webshots in the mods album if that is what you are looking for. Link is in my sig.

9. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Not all the bolts go from the body down to the frame. The first position (core support), 2nd, and 3rd go in from the bottom. 4th and 5th positions (bed) go in from the inside down. If you break position 1,4, or 5 you are ok, because those just have a nut ontop / bottom. But positions 2 & 3 are threaded into some jam nuts that are actually in the body. So if those get broken, then have to either be drilled and tapped out, or weld a nut on the broken part of the remaining bolt IIRC.

10. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

This is position 2 (directly below front passeneger floorboard). The body is lifted off the frame, and shows the bolt holding up the upper part of the mount, and threaded into the body jam nut. The lower part of the mount and washer are missing FYI. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif [​IMG]

11. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Nofear speaks with wise tongue. I have broken/mangled that exact bolt/mount shown above. I even had to replace the entire floor and support structure as shown above. If you break that particular bolt OR (and this is a biggy) if you break the nut loose, you will have to cut a hole in your floor to get to the nut to hold back-up or weld the nut back into place.

Expect the un-expected, but don't give up. You can do it.

12. Gary 86 K5

well i think theres too many things that could go wrong with a body lift so im gonna pass on doing that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks for all the info guys!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif