Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i want a big block

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by toms72k5, Oct 4, 2002.

1. toms72k5

toms72k5 Registered Member

Franklinton, nc, it\'s a little place 30 miles nor
    I was wonder if anyone in here who has put a big block in there blazer can tell me how hard it is to put one into a 72 k5. I was thinking about building up one to drop in my blazer, i also want to put in a new transmission that can handle more like a th400 i was also wondering how hard it would be to do that since my truck currently has a TH-350 in it, my current engine is 350, the main question i have is , will the engine mounts from a big block mount in the same place on the frame as the small blocks, i also was wondering if any one new how much horse power the stock transfer case can handle, it will probably be about 10 months before i get to it, but like any wise person i am try to gather as much info on it as i can, by reading books and talking to people about it, thank you so very much for your help.

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

As far as I know the guys who have dropped big blocks in their rigs have needed a body lift to clear. As far a the tranny goes I am sure theri are folks on here running that setup. If worst comes to worst you may have to drill some new chassis holes. But some may actually already line up.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got a big block in my '72.

Motor mounts can be re-used, but there is serious clearance problems with the firewall area. Mine has a 2" body lift and is still pretty tight.

Ideally, you would move the engine forward a couple of inches...use electric fans (to replace the stock one)...relocate and re-drill all the x-members, etc.

I suppose you could always "bash" the firewall in with a hammer for clearance too.....kind of crude, but it depends how "clean" you want the install to be....!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I also have a BB, w/ 350/205 combo. Running around 500hp,tranny is built, tc stock (just new seals n a paint job) and so far I havent broke anything, I must not be gettin on her enuf? I do have a 3inch body lift and it still was a tight fit, had to do some rearrangin on the firewall for dist. and VC. But everything lined up like the 350sb was in there. Good luck.