Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i want a chocolate labrador.... anyone got any info?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Dec 26, 2005.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

anyone know of a good breeder or somewhere i could get a good choc. labrador near las vegas, nv? ive been looking at different breeds and ive settled on chocolate labs... ive dealt with labradors in the past and love them and i think chocolates look the best of them all... if anyone knows where i could get one for a decent price (im living on my own in my own house now cant spend a ton on a dog) id really appreciate it.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i rescued my black lab, all you have pay is the liscense or whatever. shes the cutest thing around, had her for 6 years now.

3. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got my lab for free also guy who worked for me was moving and couldn't take her with him. Her name is Hershe and probally the best dog I have ever owned.

4. muddysub

eveyone i know who has labs says that... my cousin has a yellow and its the best dog ive ever seen, obedient, playful, caring, awesome dog!

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Labs are known for just that. I have a black lab and there is nothing i look forward to more after a bad day then her waggin the tail and wainting to play ball when i get home.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Chocolates are a bitch to find. My mom wanted another one last christmas after her first one got hit by a car. I searched high and low throughout Texas and the surrounding states and didnt find any for two months. Then finally my girlfriends cousin found an ad for a litter of them in a town two hours away so the next day we went and got the last male of the litter. I still think we got lucky that we found one at all. Awsome dog, dumb as a box of rocks but fun to play with and really goofy.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can't help you find one, but my dad has two labs, and as everyone has said they are some awesome dogs. They listen very well; we can set food (table scraps) in front of them and they won't eat it until they are told to eat. Even if we go inside and come back out, the food is still there until we tell them to eat.

The chocolate one is getting pretty old and doesn't run around like she used to.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  8. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I'd check the pound first. The day Coco was scheduled to be put down, a local shelter rescued her. They had her for about a week until I found her on the internet. It's hard to believe that someone would take such a sweet puppy that's so full of love to the pound. She was only 9 months when we got her and has adjusted to the family nicely. She's pure chocolate, but I don't have any papers. I don't care though; I love her to death.

BTW, for all the info you've ever wanted to know, check out the forums at chocolatelabs.com. There's a lot of breeder info there.

Coco.JPG

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i can set a treat on my labs nose, she will hold it there till i tell her to get it, adn snap it up in the air and catch it in her mouth
    its so cool
    and she loves the snow, we just took her up to the snow today, its so funny, she sticks her whole face in the snow, comes up lookin like santa claus

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

where is 'gotlabs' when you need him?

i also like chocolat labs, never had one but they are nice :waytogo:

11. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Chocolates are hard to find regardless of location. If you find one over the net make sure that you check them out thoroughly. If you find a lab rescue locally, go for it. Please dont confuse lab mix (They may be great companions but they are not "Labs") with Labrador retrievers. There also British labs and American labs use the net to see the difference.

They main things that I can tell you is check out the sire and dam (how is there dispostion age plays a big factor on this, are they hip/eye certified), pay attention to the litter surroundings (is it clean, or nasty). Pay attention to the owners (are they running a puppy factory or are they legit breeders) Get references and talk to them. More reputable breeders only give a limited registration with their pups so the breed doesnt get brought down by the afore mentioned puppy factories. Also remember, a puppy is best introduced to his new family around 6-6.5 weeks. Dont wait until a lab is 2yrs old to train them. A single puppy is going to lonely his first year or so and may destroy stuff to get attention. Your best bet for training is to get the book "family dog, and water dog" by richard wolters. To have a decent lab you need to spend lots of time with them, dont beat them, use lots of praise for good things they do. Bottomline is a lab puppy takes lots of time to train, whether obedience, or gun dog training. Get as much info from and about the breeders as possible, check out past litter results, talk to people that have bought labs from them, hip and eye certs, patience, patience and some more patience. And never end a training session on a bad note.

I trained both of ours and only hunt one. On average I spent 1.5 hrs a day training her. She picked up her first dove at 9 months, and her first duck at 10 months. I am hoping to have some puppies off of my girl Dixie around next summer. If you would be interested in flying to NC, (I refuse to sell one of my pups to someone I have never met, Ill let my labs judge if I sell you one or not) I would put you on the waiting list.

Just remember, dont blame the dog if it doesnt turn out the way that you wanted it to, blame yourself for not devoting enough time to them.;)

12. muddysub

thanks gotlabs! ive got a couple bloodhounds and theyre very stubborn attention hungry dogs so i know how much effort a good dog can require... ive wanted a lab for a few yrs and now ive got the space and time for one so im seriously looking for one. i dont think ill be able to fly to NJ to get one from you. but i appreciate the offer... how much do you usually let them go for? i know im gonna pay a decent amount for one but i dont really know how much. ive got a $750 bloodhound at my parents house so im sure a good lab will be comparable...

13. GotLabs

This is going to be our first litter, if we do decide to breed them, so price is going to be low. We paid 275 a piece for ours, from a "decent breeder". Reputable breeders, around 400 and up. I have a few of mine spoken for already, and they are going for the price of vet, registration, and food. I am not out to make money, I want to get out a decent product. Good luck on your search.

If you breed your bloodhounds, we could work out a swap. Oh yeah, its North Carolina not Screw Jersey.

14. muddysub

hmmmm ill have to seriously think about that... maybe i can get mom to pay for plane tickets for my b-day. ill talk to you later...

15. GotLabs

Let me know...

16. muddysub

i wish i could breed the bloodhounds, theyre both fixed... too bad cuz one is of champion bloodline. when are they going to be available?

17. GotLabs

I am guessing around mid July early August. Sucks about the bloodies, I would have swapped you pup for pup.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You can get a papered Chocolate lab for around $350 here in North Nevada. If you want I'll check around here up north If I find any I'll PM ya if you are interested. There are a couple of people around here that breed them. Everyone around here hunts and has dogs. There are usually quite a few labs for sale.They usually come up in the paper in springtime.
    PM me if you want me to let you know if any come up. Elko aint far from LV.
    I love labs. Best bird hunting dog ever. I had a Yellow Lab. She was awesome. Fetch ducks all morning. Then go up in the hills and hunt upland game all afternoon. She died a few years ago and I havn't got another dog yet but am thinking of getting a Lab pup this summer. Really miss having such a great companion and hunting partner.

19. GotLabs

Here is a pic of our two, Maggie and Dixie (l>r). Dixie is the hunter, Maggies does not. Maggie will play with kids all day long but shes slightly gunshy.

dnm.jpg

dixnmags.jpg

20. muddysub

awwww bueatiful dogs man... im so jealous! yeah i really wish i could breed my bloodhounds, they're both very handsom dogs... ive only got papers on one of them though. the other we picked up from a shelter.

yeah thunder id really appreciate it if you could check around for me, that'd be great!