Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want a guitar...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I know it'll probably just end up like the mountain bike I wanted so badly in June (I swear I'll start riding this spring /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), but I decided I want to learn to play the geet-tar...

What's a good, reasonably priced guitar for a beginner??? I'm thinking probably an acoustic, that seems like it'd be best for learning on....... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

oh crap, I think this is a repost... Help a brotha out anyway /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My friend bought an Indiana brand gee-tar for around $50 in good shape.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have a johnson acoustic electric thin body I got from ebay for about $115 shipped, came with everything from the tuner and picks to a NICE gig bag and cord.
    They have black, natural, blue (thats the one I got), red green and I think sunburst. Ebay is a good place to start for inexpensive stuff, just watch the shipping prices.

If it has a buy it now, contact the seller say you want to do the buy it now if they do free shipping. They usually go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats how I got mine anyhow.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've been looking at some of the green ones on ebay, those just look awesome... but I dunno, $15 is kinda cheap... and I usually end up getting what I pay for /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll keep looking, I'm only on page 3 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. jjlaughner

Here's mine I got for $115
    [​IMG]
    Johnson Acoustic/electric thin body with gig bag and stuff

I bought it intending to play but have yet too

Before that one I dropped close to $1000 on these two guitars and a huge amp
    [​IMG]
    Lotus, special edition silver black (color change) with foil pick gaurd.
    [​IMG]
    1967ish Epiphone EA-250 Riviria with smooth tail piece (told it was special order, most came with the offset stepped strap that gets caught in your sleeves, this one is similar to BB Kings CUSTOM tailpiece on Luci, which I got to see when I met him), Hollow F-Body with dual Humbuckers and hard case (red crushed velvet inside with hidden compartments)
    No pic but I also got a Jazz King II Amp with two 15's and its was the OLD tube type so it sounded SO SWEEEET with the hollow body /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I kick myself everytime I think when I sold them after college. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

What's a good, reasonably priced guitar for a beginner??? I'm thinking probably an acoustic, that seems like it'd be best for learning on.......

[/ QUOTE ] Pawnshop /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

wow, those are some nice ones /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found that little deal thing with the guitar, picks, bag and stuff, I think I might get hooked up with that when I get a job... No green, though... so probably either red or blue /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

humm... yeah maybe I'll check out some pawn shops too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have a Hondo brand and it's way nice. It's a black acoustic one. It was $425, but it was on sale for $275. I totally am the worst guitar player ever. But so far I have learned get nylon strings if you plan to practice a lot. I had the sorest fingers until I switched. You don't get the sound with em like the metal ones, but while you are learning it's a decent compromise IMO....

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

What's a good, reasonably priced guitar for a beginner??? I'm thinking probably an acoustic, that seems like it'd be best for learning on.......

[/ QUOTE ] Pawnshop /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I sold my guitars to a guy at the flea market that a had a guitar booth. Had them for a few years, three years on the silver one and two years on the Epi and Amp and lost $150 or maybe 200 when I sold them. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Then I turned around and dropped another 115 on the blue one.... And I dont know to play any of them other than a couple tabs and rifs. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif nice guitars tho. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    wow, those are some nice ones /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found that little deal thing with the guitar, picks, bag and stuff, I think I might get hooked up with that when I get a job... No green, though... so probably either red or blue /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For the red one I like this one

50 dollar SETUP with gig bag and tuner, red also

thick body GREEN acoustic elect guitar, its in Indiana too...
    Same guy... I'm thinking about bidding on this guitar then picking it up

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    good luck

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd say get a nylon strong acoustic too, if you're a beginner. I used to think it would be best to get a high action guitar, but you probably shouldn't...

Here're a couple of my guitars:
    [​IMG]

Better pics are here if you're into it:
    Ratch Guitars

I modified my red electric (naturally!); the humbucker coils can be split, and phase can be reversed when split... I need to change those gold knobs, though, looking a little oxidized (and cheesy)...

I started collecting them when I was really into playing a long time ago. Every now and then I think about this acoustic/electric a friend of mine found in his grandpa's storage (typical treasure-in-the-attic) when we were like 13, and how I should have found a way to buy it from him... I think it turned out to be a pretty valuable guitar... Too bad ebay has pretty much made anything collectible and valuable worth a lot less than it would've been...

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've got a Sigma and a Martin

Sigma:
    [​IMG]

Martin:
    [​IMG]

The Sigma (Martin off brand) was my first guitar. I've had it for 12 years I guess. It's been awsome. Mines a DR 2...they don't make them anymore. It looks similar to the one pictured above. Usually Sigmas are 200-???. Mine was around $400 new.
    The Martin was around $800, but now they're up to $3500 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Guitar shops also have used guitars most times. Just go strum one if anything and see if you like it. Look for cracks in the wood, bent necks. You want to strum the strings fairly hard and listen for a buzz. If it buzzes, then something's got to be fixed.
    Electric guitars are easier to play. I like the sound of acoustics better though. Nothing like whalin on an acoustic!

Just do whatever floats your chicken /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To you folks using nylon strings on anything but a classical guitar:

Wussies!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

IBANEZ, need I say more ?? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Wussies!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pshaw! Come back to start a fight, eh?

18. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Wussies!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif now thats funny. i don't guitar but those are nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif