Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i want a siberian husky...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spongeidys, Jan 29, 2006.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

anyone have any imput on these dogs? are they easily trainable? shedding, personality ect? how common are the ones with the diffrent color eyes? prices ect?

i ask about their personality cause one of my friends has 2 and the one is kinda nutty really energetic and has a tendancy to go crazy and snap sometimes...

any input is greatly appreciated ;D

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not a loyal companion, mischievous, untrustworthy, possessive........I don't recommend one as a family pet.............males anyway..........beautiful though!

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That sums it up plus x2 on the energy part - they need to run!! They are classified as a 'working dog', they need to work or play.

They are also odorless (or almost) which was a nice benefit of that breed.

5. spongeidys

is there any way to maybe have them be a little more reliable and loyal?

6. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Maybe try to a mix that looks more like a husky? My friends had some huskys and they were notorious chicken killers and wanderers. :(

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wait 'til they get old. :p:

8. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I got a huskey sheppard mix that is turning out to be a great dog. She looks alot like a huskey, but you can tell she isnt pure bread.

here are a couple of pictures of her. The first one is of her around christmas time, and the second one is how we found her one day when we came home from work. She has pulled a bag of chips off the counter and ate them all and somehow got her head through the bag.

saydie 004small.jpg

saydie 021small.jpg

9. spongeidys

haha that rules...ide like to have a dog with energy that does clever things that will make me laugh and will always want to play and or be around me...i guess im kinda looking for a crazy friend thats similar to me in dog form haha

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jackson
    [​IMG]

11. spongeidys

demon dog ;D

12. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Yeah, he's got the same eyes as the dog-boy in my ava! :haha: :haha:

13. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

a siberian husky was my first dog, my father got him for me from canada when he got him the breeder told us he was already named and we couldn't change his name kenai koshari of wolfgang. kenai was not agressive to people but he did not like other dogs, he would snap dog chains in a heartbeat trying to chase other dogs. we eventually upgraded to heavier chain and then he started dragging his 100 pound dog house behind him.he lived outside during the summer and inside during the winter, he shed year round enough fur you could make a new coat every week. he also had one brown eye and one blue eye. he was the best dog i ever had. we had to have him put down when he was 15 years old, he developed a tumor on his foot and was unable to walk anymore and the vet said it would be more painful to operate so we had no choice. but like i said he was the best dog i ever had and would get another in a heartbeat

14. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

well i only have minimal experience with these things, but ive been in your boat before, so ill see if i cant contribute something.. first off, i dont know who said the thing about them being unloyal or untrustworthy, im not saying it is true or not, i dont know, but look it up. when i researched my dog's breed (Chesapeake Bay Retriever), i read all kinds of articles and skimmed books and now im a dad-gum expert in the field. none of the articles were bias, they all told exactly what the dog was like, good and bad (difficulty to train, temperament, loyalty, aggression, stubbornness, etc). i never bought a book either, just go to Petsmart or something and they usually have gigantic books with about 2-4 pages for each AKC breed - extremely helpful and to the point.

and also, with these working/sporting groups, much of the time some sort of training is very important to establish a 'pecking order' if you will, it took me at least a year and a half to get the point to Major that i was boss (a stubborn, independent breed, but now he's loyal to me and only me), i was bit numerous times, and had mior royal rubles with him, but you HAVE to do this to some of the more dominant dogs, or your pet will be unruly, have no respect for you, and not trust you. this is extremely time consuming (and not even including the amount of time playing and keeping him busy) and frustrating, but few things have given me such a sense of satisfaction as having a dog willing to go to the ends of the earth with me..

well i didnt mean to ramble, sorry, but also talk to breeders, i talked to a half-dozen through emails regarding my dog, and all but one were more than willing to help in any way, even though i didnt buy their blood line.

Best of luck, if you have any questions at all, feel free to pm me (i got nothing better to do), and if you're interested in a Chesapeake, dont bother reading, just come to me, :D .. take care...

15. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a Malamute/Wolf mix. they are somewhat like huskies but taller and much heavier. The dog is huge(120+ lbs) but very friendly. Other dogs flipped out when he was around. I think it was a 'wolf' smell.

[​IMG]

generic Malamute picture

16. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

x2 ON THE MALAMUTE!!! I had one of the when I was a kid,,,great dogs !!

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

One of my parents neighbors and trusted friends who used to live up the hill from us had a Bull Mastiff when I and his kids were little. He had that thing mostly for intimidation factor. Thing was actually gentle, his kids would ride it all the time like it was a horse.