Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i want a stereo, where to start?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Jul 6, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

ok, i want a cd player and a few speakers in the jimmy. the catch is that i dont want to cut the door panels. i want to use the factory spots i nthe dash, and i have no carpet or interior luxurys to speak of. just basic vinil seats, and no carpet. i want to have some speakers in the back somewhere for better sound, but i take the top off and just let the car get rained on of it does rain. i need something waterproof in the back out from under the half-cab so that it does not get ruined. the question for you all is whta kind of stuf and how much. i want to spend no more than 400$. i know that it is a tall order, but i know that you people are smart. i know nothing about installation of this stuff, so factor in labor too. thank you in advance.

i only have one speaker in the front, but there are(im pretty shure) places for three in the dash. i have an 88 model.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, first thing to do is to get a nice head unit that you like, the lower line pioneers can be had for pretty cheap. Also make sure you get one with a removable face plate for security. I would get some nice 3.5" speakers for the dash and run those off the head unit. I have a set of memphis' and they sound nice, PM bozowise about a set. For the rear i would either get a set of marine speakers in a set of boxes made out of MDF coated with some sort of water proofer to keep the water out of the box. And make sure you have everything nice a secure because thieves only want stuff that will come out easy. If you need anything else just shoot me a PM or email me at zcarczar@aol.com.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Hey guys...

I too would suggest the memphis speakers. I use them in boats all the time and have had no problems (w/ regular car audio line) They do make a more expensive marine speaker (white though /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ) I would put the 3 1/2 in the dash and a set of 6x9 right behind the door and infront of the rear seat. I can send pics of mine if the discription is bad. I could get you all 4 of the speakers for about 80-100 shipped and a nice cd player for about 130-150.

Hell you still have room left over. I sell all my car audio for 5-10% over cost to CK5ers /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif