Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want a Tach

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kiblsnbits, May 9, 2000.

1. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Does anyone have any good sugestions for a decent, inexpensive tach? I dont need anything fancy like memory, just something basic. Also, I read in an earlier post that all the person did to install it was to hook it up to the HEI post marked tach. Is it really this simple? Is this the same for my '83? Are the tachs from autozone any good? Because that is what I will probably end up getting, but I am woried about installation mostly. Thanks!

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have used some of the "inexpensive" tachs on the road with no problem. I did have a needle fall off of one in the woods, and another lost a lightbulb. for road use there ok, but if an avid offroader, buy a good one. autometer. and yes, its that simple to hook up.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't know if $40 is cheap for you. I got an Autometer by Autogage for that. The four wires are +, -, Tach from HEI dist, and lights. Very easy and no problems at all.

The hardest part is choosing where to install it. I'm very happy that I placed it to the right side on the driver's side, right in that slope on the dashboard.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Do you know of a small tach. that can fit into the slot where the quartz clock goes. I don't have the clock option but it is an empty slot that would look great with a tach in there. Also, can you explain in more detail where these wires hook-up to. I've always thought it was a difficult installation but you guys make it sound really easy ... I never really looked into it but now I will.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The Autometer one I had a long time ago broke after 6 months. I've had a VDO gauge in my Jeep and now have one in my Blazer. I like them. The cheapest VDO ones are about $45 I think. I got mine from a junkyard for $5!!! Chrome plated and everything.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

87K54WD
    I've tried to do the gage modification thing to get a tach in the stock gage cluster. After about 6 hrs and much cussing it was in, but looked funny. It was just too different from stock. Anywho, my(autometer) wiring was:
    Green(tach imput): Simply plugs into the slot on the HEI cap
    Orange(dash light): Splice into a wire that dims the dash lights. If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, you will have yellow, black, and gray wires going to your stock radio. It should be the gray wire.
    Red(power): Keyed 12v power from fuse box
    Black(ground): ground

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?