Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want big sound to go with my new tires.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Rhododendron, Oct 13, 2000.

1. 88K5Rhododendron

88K5Rhododendron Registered Member

I just put a 3 inch body lift, trimmed my fenders and put 33's on.... Anyway.... It has a crappy meineke lifetime muffler on it... soooo quiet.... is it running? I can't tell?! Common... This is a 350 yo... let's hear it! But I am strapped for cash rite now... but want huge sound when I go to school on Mon... So I gotta find a way to make it loud... any ideas? Ya know... like cutting a huge hole in the muffler... ya know... but less effort... or maybe that much... any thing please!

Thanks everyone!

Matt

Followup... If You saw my earlier question about poor idling... it was a bad MAP sensor... Thanks everyone for your help with that one too!

gasoline4life! Or rocket fuel... I could see my blazer with some rockets on it... :)

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

There is nothing you can do.If your exhaust is in good shape, leave it.If it is in poor shape,consider a louder muffler.If you do have the money to replace your exhaust i would recomend having i custom dual exhaust made for it.That is what i did with my Blazer and was very happy with it.
    Cut a hole in your muffler??? Boy, that would sound great.

One From None

3. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Maybe go to Autozone and buy one of those huge tailpipe addons for like 20 bucks, they supposedly add to the sound but I have never tried them.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Go buuy a turbo muffler or a Flowmaster. That is the best way to get a deep rumble and a good sound!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

glasspaks!

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I took the muffler off mine put in straight pipe and left the caty on and it sounds nice and quiet at idle but gets louder the more gas you give it.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Just go to your local car parts store and buy a cheap turbo muffler and two clamps. Get the most free flowing one that you can find and try to stay away from fiberglass packed ones. The fiberglass kills some sound and wears out fast. If you don't plan to do a full exhaust anytime soon, get a fully welded and aluminized muffler. They don't cost too much more. Make sure that it is a little bit longer than the muffler that is on it now. Then hacksaw your old muffler out and use the two clamps to put the new one in place. Make sure that you get a muffler with the right inlet and outlet offset and that is has the right inlet and outlet diameters to clamp to your existing pipe without an expander or a welder. Otherwise you will have to mess with some kind of adapters and the more stuff you put in there the more likely it is to leak (and more expensive). Exhaust leaks sound funny and can be dangerous from CO.

This will get you more sound and a smidge more power. I don't recommend glasspacks because IMO, they sound cheap (and of course they are...), but if you're from the musclecar era, maybe you like that sound.

BTW: I know that FlowTech makes some aluminized welded mufflers that are fairly inexpensive. You can get their stuff at Pep Boys. I think you might like the afterburner or the terminator, if I remember their names correctly. Otherwise, if you're not in a hurry, you might want to order a Flowmaster from Summit or Jegs. There are many, many kinds of flowmasters, so make sure that you do a little research before you buy one so that you are sure to get what you want.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700