Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want bigger tires, what size lift should I aim for?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I tried postingthis in the Suburban forum, but no one's replied on it...

I would liek to start rolling on some seriously taller tires then my wussy 33x12.50 16.5's... I'm debating between 35's and 38's. I know asking you guys what size
    I'd do best to roll on would result in the answer being `you should really go for 44 boggers' so instead I ask what size lift do I need to put some 38's under my
    K20? right now I;m running a 4 inch suspension lift. I have serious doubts about that working, so would 6 be enough? I'm kinda avoiding doing a body lift on it, but
    I figgure its inevitable... one of my friends is rolling 35's under 4 inch suspension, and 2 inches of body lift... I do plan to cut gaping tire holes in the front fenders
    to say the least, and possibly the rear ones, if needed. gear ratio I;m not concerned with, as I seem to be rolling on 4.xx's of some sorts, and will have a 454 in
    soon enough. mmmmmm..... 454* cubic inches of displaced fuel mixture, creating a base minimum of 250 horses, and 450 Ft Lbs of torque, and with mods make
    400 HP and 600 Ft Lbs.... ( Yes, I am aiming for 400 HP, and 600 Ftlbs fo torque... it really shouldn;t be that hard at all, as my 77 C20 makes 298 HP and 540 Ft
    LBs and all I did was add a better Cam to it... I WILL find a way to bolt some Vortech heads to that thing I WILL)
    *(this engine was rebuilt before I got it in the parts truck. I will assume it needed boring at the time, and will guess its been bored out .030, making it a 461, I
    think, or more, )

thankyou in advance,
    -Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

So.....what's the question again? Are you asking what you need to do in order to fit 38's. 4 inches of lift will work if you don't mind cutting.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

how much cutting are we lookin' at here? I'm thinking I'll just go with 38's to be on the safe side, and then see what part of the fenders needs to become extinct. ( figguring the front ones need to lose both corners, and perhaps some of the upper arch, and the rear ones might need to lose the corners, )

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I just put 38.5" x 14.5" sx's on my k5. I'm lucky if I have 4" of lift (made my own front spring pack, 3.5" block!!! in the back with a 14bolt). The front fenders are cut back to the firewall. I cut the inner fenders off at the firewall also. Took it wheeling a few weeks ago, no rubbing. Someday I'll get the pics developed.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you go with 38's and 4 " lift you might want to use the ORD 1" add a leaf front and rear so you don't have to cut as much. They are like $30 per set, and they won't effect the ride any. Just a thought.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Take some old 3/4 ton overloads and cut them down to about 6-8" in length. Put in some longer spring bolts and you have about 3/4" in lift. I'm cheap.