Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want electric doors and locks!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Apr 23, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Would it be easy to put electric doors in my 73K5, I know I need to cut them to make them fit but has anyone done this and how did it work, or should I just keep my manual doors and locks.

keep blazin !!!

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    The doors for manual and electric were completely different underneath the interior panel. From my vantage point, it would be near impossible to go to electric without a set of donor electric 73-80 doors, but how often do you see those lying around ? You would have to break alot of welds and replace half the door shell. I think your full convertable top will also be a problem. I've seen conversion kits in lmc and j.c. Whitney but i'm not sure if that includes pre-81's???????? Also, the wiring would be a nightmare. I put a pair of 87electric doors on my already electric 82silverado and changing all the harnesses and splicing was hard enough. (bad connections prevent things from working ya know !!) For any of those interested though, I think most the electric window/lock years had the same amount and colors of wiring but just different harnesses. Does anyone know when electric options came stock ?
    Colonel Ado

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

What if I get the complete electric doors from another Blazer and just swap them onto mine, and for the connections just use switches would that work, I know it's gonna be a mickey mouse but it might work this way I was thinking of getting some new doors anyway from a junk yard but some good ones.

keep blazin !!!

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

If you want to add electric locks and windows to your rig, any qualified car audio shop can do it. I do it all of the time at work, as a matter of fact I did them in my last Blazer, the only reason iI haven't don it yet in my 89 is i pull the doors off way to often.
    The average cost to add electric windows to a vehicle with a two switch kit is 399 installed and electric locks runs about 60 bucks a door. You could probably buy all the parts and do it all yourself for about 175-200 bucks
    hope this helps

89K5 payed 3k for the rig, spent almost 7k in the last 6 months on upgrades!!!!

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

aftermarket kit. I have a pair of doors from an 86 that has the aftermarket kits in them. I am going to swap them into my 73 doors for my new project truck. don't work half bad. mine used gm motors.

6. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I'm doing a similar conversion to my 78K5. It came with manual everything..LOL. Well, almost. Anyway, there is no difference between a door with manual windows, and a power window. The difference is in the window regulators, not the doors. Just find you a donor, and take everything, including the wiring. Just take notes on where the wiring goes! I started by converting my tailgate to power first. I got lucky and got everything out of a junkyard for only $30. And the motor even works! I have to patch the wiring harness, cause it's a mess. I'm just waiting for my new tailgate to get here, so I can get to work. Hope this helps.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe I'm crazy, but I wish I DIDN'T have power locks or windows. How many times have we read on this and other boards about the electrical stuff in the doors giving out. My driver's side power lock hasn't worked in years, and my passenger power window is slow as hell. And we all know about those pesky rear windows......None of our trucks at work have the power options, and I have yet to see any of them go bad. And they take abuse every day!!!!

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Canmore you do have a point there, now that I really think about it you changed my mind, I dont want to be dealing with my power locks jamming on me or my window being too slow, you know what I'll just keep my manual windows and locks thanks anyway everybody for the advice and help.

keep blazin !!!

9. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

Summit Racing sells after market kits for both power windows and locks.

10. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

I have manual locks and doors and previously had a '83 Chevy pu with power everything. The locks always worked, but the windows didn't. I don't mind the manual windows except I would love to have a power window in the back of my K5.

Phil
    82K5

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If you will kindly go back a few pages in the posts and read a post called power to manual doors you will find all the answers you need,
    The doors are identical inside and out, the difference is the guts (or regulators) and the inside plastic shell.
    For those interested in arguing, please consult the LMC catalog for the pictures. The points have been already made.
    To go from maunal to electric you take out the manual regulator and replace it with the electric regulator.Then you get the new or used inner plastic panel and wire up the switches. Power should come from accessories for the window and battery for the door locks, which you just add the solenoid to the existing mechanism.
    Now if you do not wish all that hassle, LMC does offer an after market system that hooks right on to your existing system so you have power and manual at the same time, which is a nice way to go in the event the power fails.
    LMC door components pg-16&17and electronic accessories on page 43, power locks for 49.95 and power windows for 149.95.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

And Canmore, the locks are the easiest to fix, remove the panel, reach in and remove the solenoid, remove the connector plug and clean out all the corrosion.99% of the time that is where the problem is. As well as they tried GM never made the thing moisture proof and it does get in and corrode the connector. Both mine did not work when I got it and it only took about a half hour a side to get them going again...need help just ask.....[​IMG]

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've never taken my door panels off before. What's involved? I was under the impression that they were tricky...... I imagine once I get them off, the fix is rather obvious?

14. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Real easy to do. There is a screw under the door handle remove it and the "cup" comes out, then in the arm rest there is a couple screws there, remove them. Then if you have the strap remove the covers on the ends and remove the 2 big screws there. Then go around the panel and remove any other scres you might find.Attached to the inside of the panel are barbed plastic posts that are pressed into the door, I have found that wirth a bit of patience you can coaz then back out, or in a fit of rage you can tear them off and get replacements at almost any parts store. Once the panel is off look back inside where the door lock resides and you will find the power lock soleniods.. They are easy to remove and have enough cable attached that you can bring it outside.Remove the connector plug from the bottom and I believe you will find your problem. Once I cleaned mine and coated it with Neolube (colliodial graphite suspended in isopropanol)I took grease and coated the inside of the plug, once back on I used RTV to seal the plug. While you have it out just cycle the switch a few times then replace it. Any thing more just ask my friend.