Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want info on TSM dics conversion for a 14 bolt FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 30, 2000.

I am debating on putting rear disc brakes on the Burb, where can I find info on the TSM conversion. I would like to know what it comes with and what I will need to buy separate from the kit.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

They have the 14 bolt kit for around $280 but you still need to get the calipers. The calipers can be found off a 76-78 cadilac Elderado (rear). The calipers will allow the use of the p-brake cable. To get my calipers, I went to a salvage yard for the cores but now I'm not sure if it was worth it since it took me almost 4 hours trying to get the cadilac calipers off mostly because I couldn't get the stock jacks to work (forgot to bring mine) and almost had the car fall on me. I later found an Auto Parts store that only charged 10 bucks each for the cores... Off-road.com will eventually be doing an article on this. TSM's # is 303-688-6882. I haven't installed mine yet.

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Call TSM (303-688-6882) and ask them to send you a catalog. It's a pretty good one. I put on their rear 14 bolt kit and love it. Mine is on a '77 Suburban one ton (Dana 60 front) lifted 12" (all National springs = super flexy!!) and 39.5" Swampers. It will lock the rear tires up if you want. I did not need to change the proportioning valve. I have not hooked up my "$8 a piece junkyard special" Eldorado caliper emergency brakes yet, gotta get the cables made. This was one of the best upgrades I ever made to my Sub, it stops now!!!

77 K30 Sub
    454, 12", D60, 14 blt, 400, 205

ken

3. So about 400 with E-brakes and new calipers !! no proportioning valve, I figured that you would have to change it for it to stop evenly.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Any pics of your trucks Ken? We want to see'em....

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio</font color=green>
    [​IMG]

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

No, no pictures yet. I gotta find someone with a digital camera, or buy one myself!! As for no proportioning valve change, this is due to the fact that Subs are just as heavy in the rear as they are front. I had to weigh mine when I ordered the National springs (so they could "tune" the spring rate), and found out that it weighed 3300 on the front axle and 3200 on the back axle. BTW, how do you upload pictures to this site??

ken

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Shawn,

I think the years for the calipers are '79-'85 (with e-brake). I just bought the calipers for my TSM kit and those were the years listed for my 12 bolt. I could be wrong, could someone back me up.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

For the rear 14 bolt disc kit, it uses the '76-'78 Eldo rear caliper, they are bigger than the '79-'85.

ken

8. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

you need to hook up the ER cable soon after install because you will need to apply it periodically to keep proper pressure on the pads. I like the TSM kit,get rebuilt calipers,$70 each,use dot 5 fluid if you don't have ABS