Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i want more lift, what do you guys think of this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Jan 12, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a rough country 4" spring lift. i want to clear some 38" tires. and still keep it sorta legal. i was thinking about using a set of the ORD zero rates in the front and rear. or longer shackels front or rear. the other option was to toss legal out the window. use an echibon 5-3/4" shakel flip in the rear, and put an 8 inch spring in the front with a zero rate. this would make 9-3/4" out back and 9 up front. let me know what you guys would do.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

6" of lift is plenty of room to sling 40's under it.

3. milspecjimmy

i had 35's on it with the 4" lift, and they rubbed with minor trimming. i dont want to cut half of my fenders off to make em fit. i just got new axels so i will be taking it all apart. any one have comments on the zero rates?

4. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know what zero rates are since i am new to this whole k5 thing but my eperience with jeeps has told me lift shackles really arent a good i dea over maybe a half inch (1" longer than stock) are you goin to 38's just to help clear your axels? why not do a body lift? i saw a suburban in 4 wheeler with 4" lift and 42's and his fenders didn't look extremely hacked. there is the option of extended bumpstops but that kills atricultion. good luck with whatever you decide /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I ran 40's on my 76 with 5" front and 6" rear. I had to chop my fenders. you still may have to chop fenders with 38's. the fenders are only 35" wide. depending on how much flex you end up with(if you flex it at all) you still may have to trim bottoms of fenders.
    pic of old 76

6. milspecjimmy

i want to be able to flex fully and not rub, and no im not trying to make the axes fit, thats all set, i just want to be able to run a 38 and not care what i run into(knowing that it wont rub)

7. bablazer73

I still think even with that much lift, because of the diameter of tires, especially front, that fender trimming will still be needed. but I would run a post asking who has 38's and with what lift.

8. milspecjimmy

well some thing just came to me, no matter how high i lift a truck, i still need wheel openings big enough to clear the tire as if it were on a stock ride height. because when you stuff it up in there under flex, it will rub if the openng is still only 35"s wide.

9. bablazer73

indirectly, thats the point i was trying to make.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I am planning on going with a six inch spring up front. In back a shackle flip and 2" Ford 57's with a zero rate on both ends for a total of 7" of lift. This will help keep things flexy and should give me ample room(with sawzall in hand) for the 44" TSL's. That is just the route I am going. I think it is good to balance between cutting and lifting. Try to keep you Center of Gravity low yet, get decent clearance. It's all a give and take. Just decide what you like and what will work for you and go for it. If you need to do something different later it's only money. You can't take it with you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have a 6" lift and a 3" body, cut the hell out of the fenders and moved the axle forward 1.5"s. My 39.5's stuff up into the fender like a glove. I think I could get away with 42's now. the big thing in getting them to fit was moving the axle forward. I think that did more than the body lift.